Welcome to AstaHost - Dear Guest , Please Register here to get Your own website. - Ask a Question / Express Opinion / Reply w/o Sign-Up!

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  yordan : (21 April 2014 - 09:11 PM) Hey, Ritesh, Did You Hear Me?
@  yordan : (14 April 2014 - 05:28 PM) By The Way, This Could Be An Interesting Subject For A Topic, What About Posting This Question? Let's See If Other People Have The Same Feeling Concerning Bootlists!
@  yordan : (13 April 2014 - 09:36 AM) Boot Order : Cd, [Usb,] Hard Drive :D
@  yordan : (11 April 2014 - 07:23 PM) I Simply Let The Bios Do That
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:23 AM) Is It Possible To Launch Fedora Live Cd Or Installation Disk From Hard Drive On Windows Platform Using Grub Mbr File.
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:21 AM) No U Are Not.. Btw.. I Have Question For You.
@  yordan : (10 April 2014 - 08:02 AM) You Are Partially Right.
I Was Not.
Nevertheless, I Am Again :)
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) :P
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) I Think U R Not..
@  yordan : (09 April 2014 - 09:28 AM) I'm The Master Of The Shoutbox!
@  yordan : (05 April 2014 - 10:32 PM) He-He
@  Ritesh : (04 April 2014 - 06:59 PM) Ha Ha Ha ....
@  yordan : (04 April 2014 - 11:15 AM) Welcome Back, Starscream!
@  yordan : (03 April 2014 - 02:31 PM) And I Hope That He Will Come Back Soon :)
@  yordan : (01 April 2014 - 02:53 PM) Nice, Ritesh Came, I'm Not Home Alone Today.
@  Ritesh : (01 April 2014 - 08:51 AM) Oh!!! Poor Dear Yordan..
@  yordan : (31 March 2014 - 10:02 AM) I'm A Poor Lonesome Cow-Boy
@  yordan : (27 March 2014 - 02:22 PM) He Is Unpatient Due To His Patients!
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) :(
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) He Is Busy With His Patients.

Photo
- - - - -

Norton Or Kaspersky: Which Is Better?

94 replies to this topic

#1 pat23

pat23

Member [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:57 AM

Which of this two antivirus programs are better? NORTON or KASPERSKY? My copy of Norton is going to expire in a month, and i am just getting something esle. But i want to know which is better?

Norton is well known the antivirus world, and are okay.

Kaspersky has been recommeded by a few freinds and my prevouis webhost.

So which one do you all think is better?

Edited by microscopic^earthling, 24 October 2005 - 04:06 PM.

#2 abhiram

abhiram

Hedonist at large

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Music (both playing and listening)

Posted 16 October 2005 - 03:47 AM

Kaspersky as an anti-virus is excellent. It's detection methods are much superior to Norton. Norton's database uses an exact copy of the viruses to cross check against with the files on your computer whereas kaspersky uses a method which looks for characteristic parts in the code which can be used to identify a virus.

But Kaspersky's real-time protection is very memory-hogging. I've tried it and it eats away your RAM like crazy. Norton is pretty good for everyday use, but on my comp with 256 MB RAM, I had to chuck it in favour of PC-Cillin which though is not as good as Norton, it uses less memory and it gets the job done.

Why don't you try out one of the free anti-viruses available like AVG or something? Try googling and see if you can find any. I've never tried any of them, but if they do their job well, you can save some money.

#3 pat23

pat23

Member [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 03:50 AM

Thanks for the info, but i think i am going to go with KASPERSKY, i will see how it does.

#4 Grafitti

Grafitti

Premium Idiot

• [HOSTED]
  • 661 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:05 AM

Good Choice!!! Kaspersky is worlds better than Norton, though I say that as an out-and-out enemy of Norton products. Forget about actually USING your computer if you're running their stuff. That said, Kaspersky is quite the hog as well. I tried them both and came away dissatisfied. Than after trying eztrust, mcafee, panda, and others, I found my latest baby... NOD32. Anti-virus program with (so far, in my experience) the lowest resource usage, even with full real-time scanning enabled, updates at least once a day for the latest viruses, and has won awards for best detection of wild viruses. Can't get better than that. ...though they could, with a firewall included. That's the only downside.

#5 derouge

derouge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:09 AM

I use AVG now .. however, I used to use Norton and it never really impressed me. "Kapersky" sounds interesting, though. Maybe I'll look into that. :)

#6 pat23

pat23

Member [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:33 PM

I got Kapersky today and so far i beleive it is better than Norton, but it is a memory hog.

#7 WeaponX

WeaponX

Way Out Of Control - You need a life :)

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • myCENTs:86.41

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:47 AM

I personally use AVG also. I have used this free edition of AVG for years now and haven't ran into any problems that it can't handle.

If you want a paid antivirus program NOD32, mentioned by Grafitti, should be pretty good also. I seen users saying (here at Astahost I think even :)) that it's a great antivirus. I guess you can give their trial download a test drive before you buy it.

#8 Guest_gamalocka_*

Guest_gamalocka_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:48 PM

I think that Norton Antivirus is the Most depending anti virus all over the world i use it

#9 nctspawn

nctspawn

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:28 AM

Personally, I have used Kaspesky for years and I feel that it is realiable and the virus detection was really fantastics and i even got hook by this antivirus & i am even using it till this days. Last time I was using Norton Antivirus but i feel that Kaspersky is better in sense of virus detection and it always update regularly in a single day itself. So, I would recommend Kaspersky Antivirus Personal. :)

#10 twitch

twitch

Veteran Nut

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:51 AM

According to the results of AV, Kaspesky is by far the best anti-virus solution. However, don't load all your eggs in one basket. I use CA eTrust Antivirus, and nothing gets on the machine. However, this does not mean it can't. I suggest you get two or three antiviruses (if you can), that way you keep your system going. I know antiviruses can conflict, but I have only seen that happen with Norton rubbish.

#11 Guest_Jerry_*

Guest_Jerry_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:43 PM

i would go for kaspersky which has quality virus scan, but is't slow on full system scan. Narton eats to much RAM and it's not realy reliable.

#12 Pina

Pina

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:23 AM

Kaspersky seems to be the better choice. Norton is a lot of heavy to the pcs and really slow down your machine. Kaspersky is even better and I thing is a great solution to the present and future.
At the moment I don't use a anti-virus and believe I don't have any problem. I only use ad-aware SE to spyware and the firewall of windows. All free and without any problems.

#13 Killer008r

Killer008r

Uber-Pro [ Level 99 ]

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:52 PM

I use the combination of Spybot S&D, AVG, and HijackThis. They work good for me.

#14 romulo

romulo

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:36 PM

these antiviruses sucks ! they used a lot mo memory ! and they don't clean all the viruses !

#15 Find3r

Find3r

Newbie [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:04 AM

Kaspersky all the way!!

i use kaspersky for over one year now.

never fails. :lol:

Go for Kasperskyyy!

#16 silent_

silent_

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:00 PM

I think Kaspersky is better because everytime I download Nortan Antivirus it gives my computer a virus so i stopped using Nortan Antivirus a long time ago.

#17 romyo

romyo

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:58 AM

kaspersky it's the best AV if you're searching something that really secure your pc, I don't like what he does because he slow down the system (less then norton anyway) so I can reccomend it only if you work with windows and must secure your data from other ingenous users that can damage your work with stupid actions (receiving malware from the web or from mail); otherwise you can surely choose something different and lighter like antivir.

Bye :D

#18 finaldesign

finaldesign

[+] Graphic Designer [+]

• Members
  • 614 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design, 3d Modeling, DTP, Computer Software, Music composition & Remix...etc...

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:58 PM

I've used kaspersky sometime in the past, and it beats Norton 100%.
I would dare to say:

Kaspersky: 9/10
Norton: 6/10

Only thing that I don't like with kaspersky, is that it really eats-up too much processor time...

#19 XtraQ8

XtraQ8

Newbie [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:25 PM

Which of this two antivirus programs are better? NORTON or KASPERSKY? My copy of Norton is going to expire in a month, and i am just getting something esle. But i want to know which is better?

Norton is well known the antivirus world, and are okay.

Kaspersky has been recommeded by a few freinds and my prevouis webhost.

So which one do you all think is better?

both is great :D

#20 ProtoMan.EXE

ProtoMan.EXE

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• [HOSTED]
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:33 AM

I choose Kaspersky because Norton seriously slow down my Computer , Kaspersky can prevent virus from attacking my PC easily . Kaspersky all the way .

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users