Welcome to AstaHost - Dear Guest , Please Register here to get Your own website. - Ask a Question / Express Opinion / Reply w/o Sign-Up!

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  yordan : (14 April 2014 - 05:28 PM) By The Way, This Could Be An Interesting Subject For A Topic, What About Posting This Question? Let's See If Other People Have The Same Feeling Concerning Bootlists!
@  yordan : (13 April 2014 - 09:36 AM) Boot Order : Cd, [Usb,] Hard Drive :D
@  yordan : (11 April 2014 - 07:23 PM) I Simply Let The Bios Do That
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:23 AM) Is It Possible To Launch Fedora Live Cd Or Installation Disk From Hard Drive On Windows Platform Using Grub Mbr File.
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:21 AM) No U Are Not.. Btw.. I Have Question For You.
@  yordan : (10 April 2014 - 08:02 AM) You Are Partially Right.
I Was Not.
Nevertheless, I Am Again :)
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) :P
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) I Think U R Not..
@  yordan : (09 April 2014 - 09:28 AM) I'm The Master Of The Shoutbox!
@  yordan : (05 April 2014 - 10:32 PM) He-He
@  Ritesh : (04 April 2014 - 06:59 PM) Ha Ha Ha ....
@  yordan : (04 April 2014 - 11:15 AM) Welcome Back, Starscream!
@  yordan : (03 April 2014 - 02:31 PM) And I Hope That He Will Come Back Soon :)
@  yordan : (01 April 2014 - 02:53 PM) Nice, Ritesh Came, I'm Not Home Alone Today.
@  Ritesh : (01 April 2014 - 08:51 AM) Oh!!! Poor Dear Yordan..
@  yordan : (31 March 2014 - 10:02 AM) I'm A Poor Lonesome Cow-Boy
@  yordan : (27 March 2014 - 02:22 PM) He Is Unpatient Due To His Patients!
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) :(
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) He Is Busy With His Patients.
@  yordan : (26 March 2014 - 08:12 PM) Ahsani, Where Are You?

Photo
- - - - -

Winmx Gone, Edonkey Could Be Next WinMX Gone, eDonkey Could Be Next

15 replies to this topic

#1 sm0k3ymcl3ud

sm0k3ymcl3ud

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 06:23 PM

WinMX went down on Wed, Sept 21st 2005 at 8:00am and will not be coming back, the RIAA has scared them into retreat from the P2P race. I didn't use WinMX anymore since last year but it is still sad to see them go, I used WinMX right after KaZaA kicked the P2P bucket. But now I hear tell about eDonkey being next and I hope that will never happen, because doesnt eMule run off of the eDonkey network? The president of eDonkey announces to the supreme court last week that he would be "throwing in his towel."

I am thinking about trying out MUTE if eDonkey goes down because from what I hear it is supposed to be an untraceable network which the RIAA would need access to all the computers on the network to trace downloads. There are some bugs in it though, like when a lot of people are connected, it's very laggy.

Anybody got any ideas on what to do next when the RIAA shuts down all the networks we know of?

--------------------
Sm0k3y Mcl3uD

#2 jipman

jipman

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 07:26 PM

[joke?]
Here's a good network, always 100% uptime, infinite speeds and always what you need

tadaaaaa ..... the official whatabout-just-buying-your-software/media-program ?

Only downside, it costs some.
[/joke?]

No seriously, there's always a new protocol standing up if one goes down. There's no need to fear that it will be all over for illegal p2p networking.

Anyway, I'm glad they are weeding out the p2p networks, this all buys BitTorrent some more living time. I seriously don't care what happens about emule/donkey or whatever, it kinda got lame anyway.

#3 sm0k3ymcl3ud

sm0k3ymcl3ud

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 07:34 PM

lol@the joke

So far eMule is the best P2P software that I found for downloading big files, given that it may be slow to get started, you never get a corrupt file and I love the feature that lets me manage my up/downloads from my cell phone. BitTorrent may have fast speeds, but so does NNTP and you can find almost anything in newsgroups these days, and what BitTorrent lacks is the interface and functionality that eMule has, mainly because eMule is open source.

--------------------
Sm0k3y Mcl3uD

#4 butch

butch

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:15 AM

Really? I remeber WinMX to be among first P2P networks in postNapster era.
RIAA is now on a move, seems David can't beat Goliath.
Now Bittorrent creators must be very very careful (quiet? :blink: ) so they don't get locked up..
Seems that justice is arriving to the Internet, in it's familliar form - give me the green or I give a nice cell after I sue your brains out :mellow:

#5 Moody

Moody

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:25 AM

I would hate it when eMule would go offline, I downloaded much with it, you need to have patience, but 'there are very less virusses and so on... And if a program would cost €10,- (i live in europe) then i would buy it, but if i have to pay €400,- for the smallest version of office, then give them a no. The money doesn't grow on my back or something.

#6 hazeshow

hazeshow

Premium Member

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:see location

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:36 AM

I never use WinMX or Edonkey, so it doesn't really hurt me. I hope that Bittorrent stays on, for me Bittorrent is the best filesharing system ever.

#7 jipman

jipman

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:39 AM

UPDATE

http://judiciary.sen...624&wit_id=4689

Seems like eDonkey's going to quit too

and what BitTorrent lacks is the interface and functionality that eMule has, mainly because eMule is open source.

And who says Bit Torrent isn't opensource????

And duh... the basic bittorrent client is lame, but Bit Comet makes up for the poor implementation of the protocol in the official client.

#8 sm0k3ymcl3ud

sm0k3ymcl3ud

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:11 PM

Tthanks for the update jip, im gonna have to check out Bit Comet and see if it's any good, do you or anybody else know if the RIAA is sitting on that network too?

#9 unimatrix

unimatrix

Premium Member

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:21 AM

Tthanks for the update jip, im gonna have to check out Bit Comet and see if it's any good, do you or anybody else know if the RIAA is sitting on that network too?

View Post

I suspect that Limewire and some of the Bit Torrent Clients will be next on the list. In the decentralized post-Napster eras, it is hard to go after say the Gnutella or Bit Torrent Networks themselves, but you can go after those providing clients and websites that offer access to said networks. Basically that was what was decided in the Grokster case.

#10 jipman

jipman

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 10:19 AM

@unimatrix.

Do you understand what bittorrent actually is? The RIAA will not target a specific bit torrent client because that would mean they have to sue about 1000+ people/companies. It's better to sue the creator of the protocol, which is not likely to happen since Bram cohen, bit torrents creator just got ... million dollars to fund his research to a new bit torrent standard.

Bit torrent is a protocol
Bit Comet, Azureus, G3 Torent, etc etc are CLIENTS that can understand that protocol

It's something like HTTP and webbrowsers, you can't sue mozilla because you can view warez-sites on firefox.

On a side note, I am wondering how you would have to sue anything that has to do with bit comet anyway. That would mean they have to sue every tracker-owner.... And there are quite a big number of trackers around here.....

#11 darkool

darkool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 01:34 PM

WinMX went down on Wed, Sept 21st 2005 at 8:00am and will not be coming back

Not so fast ... lol a groupe called thesourcecode recreated 200 servers that allows to users reconnect to the WinMX network. It's only needed to configure some basic things. Witch one i dont know but i will find a way, then i post here.

cheers [[]]

#12 Dondada

Dondada

Member [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 05:32 PM

I dont see the point in still using donkey or WinMX with so much negative attention focused on them. Just move on to a new program...filesharing will never die.

#13 sm0k3ymcl3ud

sm0k3ymcl3ud

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:51 AM

Or they could just take out the torrent search sites, if we can't find any torrents how do we download things with these clients. There needs to be more search sites just in case.

#14 jipman

jipman

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:31 AM

Why do you think people are worked out a trackerless version of bit torrent?

http://webseitz.flux...rlessBitTorrent

#15 Gareth24

Gareth24

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:54 PM

@unimatrix.

Do you understand what bittorrent actually is? The RIAA will not target a specific bit torrent client because that would mean they have to sue about 1000+ people/companies. It's better to sue the creator of the protocol, which is not likely to happen since Bram cohen, bit torrents creator just got ... million dollars to fund his research to a new bit torrent standard.

Bit torrent is a protocol
Bit Comet, Azureus, G3 Torent, etc etc are CLIENTS that can understand that protocol

It's something like HTTP and webbrowsers, you can't sue mozilla because you can view warez-sites on firefox.

On a side note, I am wondering how you would have to sue anything that has to do with bit comet anyway. That would mean they have to sue every tracker-owner.... And there are quite a big number of trackers around here.....

View Post

Limewire is the biggest one at the moment I think, I think that will be there for a little while more, possible ARES? BEARSHARE and ones like that will be next.

I don't think bittorrent will be scrapped because so many people use it for legit purposes. But some don't... :mellow:

#16 ArmTheMob

ArmTheMob

Member [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:40 PM

I personally thought eDonkey2000 was already dead... I stopped using it a long time ago. The only thing I use these days is BitTorrent.

I'm not sure which one is the best but the only thing that matters is how many people are using it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users