Welcome to AstaHost - Dear Guest , Please Register here to get Your own website. - Ask a Question / Express Opinion / Reply w/o Sign-Up!

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  yordan : (14 April 2014 - 05:28 PM) By The Way, This Could Be An Interesting Subject For A Topic, What About Posting This Question? Let's See If Other People Have The Same Feeling Concerning Bootlists!
@  yordan : (13 April 2014 - 09:36 AM) Boot Order : Cd, [Usb,] Hard Drive :D
@  yordan : (11 April 2014 - 07:23 PM) I Simply Let The Bios Do That
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:23 AM) Is It Possible To Launch Fedora Live Cd Or Installation Disk From Hard Drive On Windows Platform Using Grub Mbr File.
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:21 AM) No U Are Not.. Btw.. I Have Question For You.
@  yordan : (10 April 2014 - 08:02 AM) You Are Partially Right.
I Was Not.
Nevertheless, I Am Again :)
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) :P
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) I Think U R Not..
@  yordan : (09 April 2014 - 09:28 AM) I'm The Master Of The Shoutbox!
@  yordan : (05 April 2014 - 10:32 PM) He-He
@  Ritesh : (04 April 2014 - 06:59 PM) Ha Ha Ha ....
@  yordan : (04 April 2014 - 11:15 AM) Welcome Back, Starscream!
@  yordan : (03 April 2014 - 02:31 PM) And I Hope That He Will Come Back Soon :)
@  yordan : (01 April 2014 - 02:53 PM) Nice, Ritesh Came, I'm Not Home Alone Today.
@  Ritesh : (01 April 2014 - 08:51 AM) Oh!!! Poor Dear Yordan..
@  yordan : (31 March 2014 - 10:02 AM) I'm A Poor Lonesome Cow-Boy
@  yordan : (27 March 2014 - 02:22 PM) He Is Unpatient Due To His Patients!
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) :(
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) He Is Busy With His Patients.
@  yordan : (26 March 2014 - 08:12 PM) Ahsani, Where Are You?

- - - - -

Task Manager Processes: Which Are Safe To Shutdown

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sPyfReEsTyLe_*

Guest_sPyfReEsTyLe_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:45 PM

what would happen if you were to opened your task manager,
click on processes,
and started ending processes ?

i know that processes are programs that are running on
your system. some are being used by your system and
some are by the software that you have.

but, how do you know which processes are safe to end ?

i wonder sometimes if any of them have been installed as spyware !

;) sPyFrEeStyLe

Edited by microscopic^earthling, 29 August 2005 - 02:37 AM.

#2 vizskywalker

vizskywalker

Techno-Necromancer

• Members
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:52 PM

If you end a process required for windows, one of two things will happen: a) windows will hang or ;) the process will restart. If any other process is ended, the program running that process will end, or, if it is a multiprocess program, lose that functionailty or restart the process. To see what a process does and if it is safe to end or not, check out http://www.liutiliti...processlibrary/.

~Viz

#3 Grafitti

Grafitti

Premium Idiot

• [HOSTED]
  • 661 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 02:51 PM

basically running xp i haven't had windows hang on anything being shutdown. it'll just restart or refuse to close the process, you know, "this is a critical system process and cannot be ended" message.
Killing certain processes will activate the NT authority protection, which shuts your computer down in 60 seconds... if your computer has been hacked then it's good, but if you were just fiddling around and don't want to lose your other work or just go through the whole rebooting process, open the run dialog, enter "shutdown -a" without the quotation marks. and it will end the automated shutdown process.

#4 little0run

little0run

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:31 PM

But then you would be running without what are possibly essential system processes...
You should probably let it end, if your going to go screwing around with files you don't know anything about you should back-up anything you're working on...

#5 techocian

techocian

'Prentice de-Zighner

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • Interests:Messin around with Photoshop, reading, Guild Wars, making up web design projects that always seem to end 2 weeks later.
  • myCENTs:93.97

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:39 PM

So far over my years of shutting down processes that i have no idea of, I've been 100% lucky in all my actions. Basically, i try not to shut down anything with username of "System" in it. I know all the programs i have in my computer and if i see one that is running but I'mnot using I'll just shut it down.

Problem is, most viruses don't run as processes and can be really annoying when you try to find their name and go to the Symantec website or something to get a definition. The worst part of having a virus ruin your computer is when it shuts down your data recieving part of your internet. You will not be able to update your definitions if you have not(Which i usually don't), and when you open up task manager to shut down unknown programs you might get rid of the "good" ones. So when I'm surfing unknown websites, i just stick to my Apple Powerbook. Heh.

#6 Guest_Stingray_*

Guest_Stingray_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:10 PM

Well you usually know which ones are safe to shutdown by looking at there names for instance if i had aim open and i saw aim.exe i would no that would terminate aim but mostly the not safe ones wont let you shut them down or if you think u just did just click on run and retype the process u just terminated. Good Luck.

#7 magiccode9

magiccode9

Advanced Member

• [HOSTED]
  • 162 posts
  • myCENTs:77.89

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:14 AM

this is my computer state that use min. process.

Attached Files

#8 wutske

wutske

Way Out Of Control - You need a life :)

• [HOSTED]
  • 1,443 posts
  • myCENTs:98.90

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:34 PM

Terminating services will only affect the system untill you reboot, so it's better to terminate them in the management console and change their boot settings.

A good site (visited it today and disabled somes services too ;) ) is http://www.theelderg...vices_guide.htm .

If you REALLY don't know what you do, you should check dependencies, make shure you have made a systemrestore point, registry-backup and remember what you changed.

Ow, and another thing that might happen when you disable a wrong services is that famous 60sec. shutdown dialoge (remember the virus that kept shutting down computers all over the worlld :P ). Try it, kill the RemoteProcedureCall :P

#9 kobietaryba

kobietaryba

Newbie [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:22 PM

Hi sPyfReEsTyLe!
Easy way to check witch processes you can shut down is to check out www.checkprocesses.com.

#10 Ronel

Ronel

Member - Active Contributor

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:47 AM

its just simple, most of the processes in the username of:
<your username>

except explorer.exe are mostly safe to shut down. :P :P

just :P be :P careful. :P

Edited by Ronel, 09 August 2007 - 05:21 AM.

#11 Guest_(G)BEVK_*

Guest_(G)BEVK_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:16 AM

KILLING explorer in TASK MANAGER then....Task Manager Processes: Which Are Safe To Shutdown

If you KILL explorer in TASK MANAGER, your desktop icons will all vanish.  If this happens, click on FILE, NEW TASK(run), then type in EXPLORER.  Desktop appears as if refreshed, explorer is running again, all is good.

-reply by BEVK

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users