Welcome to AstaHost - Dear Guest , Please Register here to get Your own website. - Ask a Question / Express Opinion / Reply w/o Sign-Up!

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  styleseye : (24 April 2014 - 02:29 PM) Https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Geh4Rs-Boh8&feature=Youtu.be&h=Taqexxpem
@  styleseye : (24 April 2014 - 02:28 PM) Https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Geh4Rs-Boh8&feature=Youtu.be&h=Taqexxpem
@  yordan : (21 April 2014 - 09:11 PM) Hey, Ritesh, Did You Hear Me?
@  yordan : (14 April 2014 - 05:28 PM) By The Way, This Could Be An Interesting Subject For A Topic, What About Posting This Question? Let's See If Other People Have The Same Feeling Concerning Bootlists!
@  yordan : (13 April 2014 - 09:36 AM) Boot Order : Cd, [Usb,] Hard Drive :D
@  yordan : (11 April 2014 - 07:23 PM) I Simply Let The Bios Do That
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:23 AM) Is It Possible To Launch Fedora Live Cd Or Installation Disk From Hard Drive On Windows Platform Using Grub Mbr File.
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:21 AM) No U Are Not.. Btw.. I Have Question For You.
@  yordan : (10 April 2014 - 08:02 AM) You Are Partially Right.
I Was Not.
Nevertheless, I Am Again :)
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) :P
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) I Think U R Not..
@  yordan : (09 April 2014 - 09:28 AM) I'm The Master Of The Shoutbox!
@  yordan : (05 April 2014 - 10:32 PM) He-He
@  Ritesh : (04 April 2014 - 06:59 PM) Ha Ha Ha ....
@  yordan : (04 April 2014 - 11:15 AM) Welcome Back, Starscream!
@  yordan : (03 April 2014 - 02:31 PM) And I Hope That He Will Come Back Soon :)
@  yordan : (01 April 2014 - 02:53 PM) Nice, Ritesh Came, I'm Not Home Alone Today.
@  Ritesh : (01 April 2014 - 08:51 AM) Oh!!! Poor Dear Yordan..
@  yordan : (31 March 2014 - 10:02 AM) I'm A Poor Lonesome Cow-Boy
@  yordan : (27 March 2014 - 02:22 PM) He Is Unpatient Due To His Patients!

Photo
- - - - -

Make Your Own FPS Game

41 replies to this topic

#1 ebbinger_413

ebbinger_413

Administrator [level 69]

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 12:48 AM

i happend to be searching the internet, as i usually am doing from 5-9 on a daily basis...and i came accross this advertisement that sparked my intuitive imaginiation (wow big words...what do they mean ?)

ne ways...heres what the ad said...

First Person Shooters are one of the most enduringly popular game genres. Now, for the first time, anyone can make their own action packed FPS games without any programming or 3D modelling knowledge.

Bringing a new benchmark to game creation, the innovative and multi-featured FPS Creator has been three years in development and offers an easy, yet flexible editing environment where you can achieve high quality gaming result in no time at all.

sounds great doesnt it...is it real ? can i (someone who has no clue how to make a good 3d render) actually make a first person shooter game...that will look like a game!

im still reading up on this program...not exactly sure what it all does...

heres the link if youd like to check it out for yourself...

#2 tcave

tcave

Member [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:26 PM

it looks pretty credible.. why don't you give it a shot?

I actually might try it myself sometime :rolleyes:

#3 Killer008r

Killer008r

Uber-Pro [ Level 99 ]

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:45 PM

I tried it, and am actually right now trying to see if the game I made is going to work, but before I can even preview it, the program freezes.

#4 Giniu

Giniu

Penguin Holmes

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Linux, Games (design&development), Flash (with Open Source tools), Erlang-Ruby-C++

Posted 15 April 2005 - 10:14 PM

Hi...

actualy editor of that kind are good for learning, but if you want make game without programing skills I would rather sugest looking at Realm Forge GDK (engine based at Ogre 3D) to get better results, there is its [page at DevMaster.net] and their [homepage]... Best things about it are that it is fully Open Source, contains all needed editors, physics, and is using not best but preaty good technology like pixel/vertex-shaders and preaty soon normal maps... If you want to know what it can do, look at this [screenshot] (taken without antialiasing, but this is for show how it looks without it) where you can find nice refractions/reflections/waves in pool... I would say very nice... also one more time - remember - this is Open Source project :rolleyes:

#5 l337 Nurse Pedestrian

l337 Nurse Pedestrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:54 AM

There's probably some catch to it. Hey if you want to make a first person shooter. Just use Game Maker, you can find it at http://www.gamemaker.nl , anything from FPS, to puzzles to applications can be made, it's a quick download to. I recommend you try that first.

#6 Guest_D0M1N0R_*

Guest_D0M1N0R_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:34 AM

There's probably some catch to it. Hey if you want to make a first person shooter. Just use Game Maker, you can find it at http://www.gamemaker.nl , anything from FPS, to puzzles to applications can be made, it's a quick download to. I recommend you try that first.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do that, it WILL pay off :rolleyes:

#7 the amercain idiot

the amercain idiot

Newbie [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 03:33 PM

it sounds good, doesnt it!! :) but then again, its another game creators product, isnt it :) :) :rolleyes: :) :) :) ;) :o

#8 madcrow

madcrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:52 PM

Another cool low-programming FPS maker is known as Reality Factory. Visit it's site at http://www.realityfactory.ca

#9 johnny

johnny

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:01 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this would be a really good idea. If i could try it i would, buti cannot download it :( so if your going to try to make a fps game then use the download off that site.

#10 The Bob

The Bob

Member [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:12 AM

Hmm, looks pretty good.

Ive dabbled in gamemaker, mostly sprite swaps of clasic games. Its fairly easy to use but I have no idea how it would handle pollygonal worlds for an fps. The most ove seen for it was a shady version of doom.

Anyway good luck and tell me about whatever prog works the best.

#11 [i]_R_Crazy_Idiot

[i]_R_Crazy_Idiot

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:11 PM

That kind of stuff is not something that professionals use(ovbiously).
Some great experience would be joining a mod team or making a mod for a game such as Half Life 2.

#12 [i]_R_Crazy_Idiot

[i]_R_Crazy_Idiot

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:31 PM

O and also a place for great tutorials to get started is on hl2world.com, the tutorials are good quality and have excellent links too.

#13 Spl1teR

Spl1teR

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:48 PM

Hmm, i dont think that FPS Creator is really good, becouse you need to pay for the full version, ofcourse i understand the creator of the program, but i dont have any visa or paypal so i dont like payments that isent sended home to my house :P

#14 zorlen

zorlen

Member [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:13 AM

You can use Game maker to make 3D games like FPS, but they'll be like Doom(the original one). That Realm Forge GDK however looks pretty... I'll have to find time to get and play around with that.

BTW, how user friendly is that GDK thing? Did you yourself make what was in your screenshot? Do you have any othe examples or should I just check out the website? :P

#15 AstralSin

AstralSin

Newbie [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:54 PM

If one wants to make their own FPS, one should first find an engine to work with. Unless you wish to code your own engine from scratch(which requires an extremely advanced programmer) you should start with a ready-made engine(such as the CRX engine, check out http://red.planetarena.org). The CRX engine is based off the GPL'd id source code and you can use the Q2 map programs to construct maps. All one has to do is make the maps and link them with a single player campaign in the engine. It's not easy to make a legit FPS, takes alot of time and knowledge and hard work, but its fun. Good luck!

#16 InitialDriveGTR

InitialDriveGTR

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:26 AM

Then again, you could always use 3DS MAX 7 or Maya <whatever version is out now>, which will deliver very high quality graphics. Altough I am not sure if 3DS or Maya can actually be used to create actual scenarios, or plots. But I do know that some of the highest quality games and movies are made with it. The only downsides that i see with it is the price tags(ITS IN THE BLOODY THOUSANDS!), and the fact that it can be very hard to lear for a newbie in this field of computers.

#17 ahender

ahender

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:46 AM

Wow ive never thought about making my own fps but this sounds like fun. Thanks for the link, and the idea

#18 tommydanger

tommydanger

Member [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:58 PM

Then again, you could always use 3DS MAX 7 or Maya <whatever version is out now>, which will deliver very high quality graphics. Altough I am not sure if 3DS or Maya can actually be used to create actual scenarios, or plots. But I do know that some of the highest quality games and movies are made with it. The only downsides that i see with it is the price tags(ITS IN THE BLOODY THOUSANDS!), and the fact that it can be very hard to lear for a newbie in this field of computers.

Yep you can use Max for Levelediting.
Splinter Cell 2 or 3 offered that possibility.
And of course other AAA Games which I don't remember the name also makes use of max.
Well, if you want to do something for HL(2) Max is not the best solution, it's better to use the default editor.
HL(2) uses a different editing sheme and does not allow us to use max (it simply isn't designed to be used in Max)
For example Splinter Cell offers a whole SDK, where you can place entities/lights right in Max
Well yeah as mentioned the only downside is that it is unaffordable for the casual ones :/

#19 Guest_FeedBacker_*

Guest_FeedBacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:53 PM

Game Maker is built more specific for the development of 2d Games. 3d Support in Game Maker is poor in power, I suggest other tools for FPS design.

#20 Guest_FeedBacker_*

Guest_FeedBacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:45 AM

Look.

Game creators inhibit creativity and makes it extremely hard to produces original game play. If you want to make a game, learn how to program. Using a programing language like C++ will enable you to make whatever type of game you want. The extra effort to go out in learn a languages will be worth it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users