Welcome to AstaHost - Dear Guest , Please Register here to get Your own website. - Ask a Question / Express Opinion / Reply w/o Sign-Up!

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  yordan : (14 April 2014 - 05:28 PM) By The Way, This Could Be An Interesting Subject For A Topic, What About Posting This Question? Let's See If Other People Have The Same Feeling Concerning Bootlists!
@  yordan : (13 April 2014 - 09:36 AM) Boot Order : Cd, [Usb,] Hard Drive :D
@  yordan : (11 April 2014 - 07:23 PM) I Simply Let The Bios Do That
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:23 AM) Is It Possible To Launch Fedora Live Cd Or Installation Disk From Hard Drive On Windows Platform Using Grub Mbr File.
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:21 AM) No U Are Not.. Btw.. I Have Question For You.
@  yordan : (10 April 2014 - 08:02 AM) You Are Partially Right.
I Was Not.
Nevertheless, I Am Again :)
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) :P
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) I Think U R Not..
@  yordan : (09 April 2014 - 09:28 AM) I'm The Master Of The Shoutbox!
@  yordan : (05 April 2014 - 10:32 PM) He-He
@  Ritesh : (04 April 2014 - 06:59 PM) Ha Ha Ha ....
@  yordan : (04 April 2014 - 11:15 AM) Welcome Back, Starscream!
@  yordan : (03 April 2014 - 02:31 PM) And I Hope That He Will Come Back Soon :)
@  yordan : (01 April 2014 - 02:53 PM) Nice, Ritesh Came, I'm Not Home Alone Today.
@  Ritesh : (01 April 2014 - 08:51 AM) Oh!!! Poor Dear Yordan..
@  yordan : (31 March 2014 - 10:02 AM) I'm A Poor Lonesome Cow-Boy
@  yordan : (27 March 2014 - 02:22 PM) He Is Unpatient Due To His Patients!
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) :(
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) He Is Busy With His Patients.
@  yordan : (26 March 2014 - 08:12 PM) Ahsani, Where Are You?

Photo
- - - - -

Black Shades... Info+linux Tutorial Lets talk about something different :D

No replies to this topic

#1 Giniu

Giniu

Penguin Holmes

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Linux, Games (design&development), Flash (with Open Source tools), Erlang-Ruby-C++

Posted 02 April 2005 - 10:26 PM

Hi to all, this one would be long, but it's worth :o...

In our times there are more and more great looking games... but a lot of us forgot about old times... I want to mention FPS game Black Shades, an uDevGame award winner in 2002. It's hard to compile, also as far as I know there is only Linux and Mac OS version... I can't tell anything about windows version... let's get back to case...

In Black Shades you control a psychic bodyguard, and try to protect the VIP from a horde of assassins. - Simple idea - simple graphics - but that playability :P you can disapear from real world for long hours... There is home of [Black Shades], also a site where you can see few screenshots and get precompiled Macintosh binary, just go to [Wolfire Software]and look around...

I would include small tutorial on getting it running under Linux including downloading and compiling OpenAL (sound library) and the game itself, since orginal instruction aren't reacheble (or just I wasn't able to found it)... ok:

1) First of all you need OpenAL sound library, so download it:
cd /usr/src
cvs -d:pserver:guest@opensource.creative.com:/usr/local/cvs-repository login
use password: guest and do
cvs -d:pserver:guest@opensource.creative.com:/usr/local/cvs-repository co openal
then you need to compile it (prequilities for this package is listened in readme, so I would skip this...):
cd openal/linux
./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-optimization
make
make install
then upgrade dynamic links:
ldconfig
Now when you installed OpenAl, make sure you also got Ogg and SDL support in system - there are many guides to it, so I would left this as done.

2) Now times came to download/install Black Shades:
cd /usr/local/games
 cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.icculus.org:/cvs/cvsroot login
use password: anonymous and do
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.icculus.org:/cvs/cvsroot co blackshades
cd blackshades
make
cd Data
wget http://filesingularity.timedoctor.org/Textures.tar.bz2
rm -r ./Textures/*.png
tar -xjf Textures.tar.bz2
rm Textures.tar.bz2
touch /usr/bin/blackshades
chmod 711 /usr/bin/blackshades
and add to it, by editing it with your favorite text editor those lines:
#!/bin/bash
cd /usr/local/games/blackshades
./objs/blackshades
also remeber to edit your config file, the /usr/local/games/blackshades/config.txt, from now on you can run it by typing blackshades. Don't worry if there would show up a lot of warnings - remember - warning isn't error, so let them be... :o

You would probably want to know some keys that aren't listetned in file /usr/local/games/blackshades/Readme and are needed to play (for more of them refer to Readme):

Alt+Enter - Full Screen
Ctrl+G - Grab/Ungrab mouse pointer

Also remember to change resolution in config.txt

So... I - try it and what you think about it? I can say that this is one of those games that don't need more :P As I know there is way to enable debug mode in this game, but I was unsuccessfull in this, so I left it out (Debug mode gives you chance to run in third person perspective just like on those screenshots...) If someone would be able to run it on Linux in debug mode, please post it, so all of us would be able to use it :P

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users