Welcome to AstaHost - Dear Guest , Please Register here to get Your own website. - Ask a Question / Express Opinion / Reply w/o Sign-Up!

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  yordan : (14 April 2014 - 05:28 PM) By The Way, This Could Be An Interesting Subject For A Topic, What About Posting This Question? Let's See If Other People Have The Same Feeling Concerning Bootlists!
@  yordan : (13 April 2014 - 09:36 AM) Boot Order : Cd, [Usb,] Hard Drive :D
@  yordan : (11 April 2014 - 07:23 PM) I Simply Let The Bios Do That
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:23 AM) Is It Possible To Launch Fedora Live Cd Or Installation Disk From Hard Drive On Windows Platform Using Grub Mbr File.
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:21 AM) No U Are Not.. Btw.. I Have Question For You.
@  yordan : (10 April 2014 - 08:02 AM) You Are Partially Right.
I Was Not.
Nevertheless, I Am Again :)
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) :P
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) I Think U R Not..
@  yordan : (09 April 2014 - 09:28 AM) I'm The Master Of The Shoutbox!
@  yordan : (05 April 2014 - 10:32 PM) He-He
@  Ritesh : (04 April 2014 - 06:59 PM) Ha Ha Ha ....
@  yordan : (04 April 2014 - 11:15 AM) Welcome Back, Starscream!
@  yordan : (03 April 2014 - 02:31 PM) And I Hope That He Will Come Back Soon :)
@  yordan : (01 April 2014 - 02:53 PM) Nice, Ritesh Came, I'm Not Home Alone Today.
@  Ritesh : (01 April 2014 - 08:51 AM) Oh!!! Poor Dear Yordan..
@  yordan : (31 March 2014 - 10:02 AM) I'm A Poor Lonesome Cow-Boy
@  yordan : (27 March 2014 - 02:22 PM) He Is Unpatient Due To His Patients!
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) :(
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) He Is Busy With His Patients.
@  yordan : (26 March 2014 - 08:12 PM) Ahsani, Where Are You?

Photo
- - - - -

Do You Prefer Laptop Or Desktop Computers? Which Is Better Overall?

211 replies to this topic

Poll: Laptop VS Desktop (128 member(s) have cast votes)

Laptop VS Desktop

1. laptop (54 votes [42.19%])

Percentage of vote: 42.19%

2. desktop (74 votes [57.81%])

Percentage of vote: 57.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 unimatrix

unimatrix

Premium Member

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:29 AM

I just bought a friend's 1.33Ghz G4 Powerbook with 2GB of Ram. He wanted to get the new Macbook Pro, and all my software is PPC based. I know there is rosetta, but since I am using Pro Apps (Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, etc) and not all my hardware have drivers for OSX Intel (like my video capture device and scanner) I needed to buy a new laptop to use for the next 18 months or so when I plan to get a new OSX-Intel system with all the bugs worked out.

He sold me the unit for USD 850 since it needed a new battery. Now is the unit as powerful as either my Dual 1.25 Ghz G4 PowerMac at home? No, but it's good enough for the video editing I do. Typically I will do all my editing work, save to an external firewire drive, then use my big tower to render while I start on the next project at my favorite coffee shop.

It works out better for me too, because when I'm in my condo, I don't do work. I watch TV, play on the internet, post here, do everything, but work. Since my Cell phone is my business line, I can work from anywhere with an electrical outlet. Granted, is FCP or PS quite as responsive as my tower? No, but I can live with that in exchange for the mobility.

From time to time I do go in the road. Not much else to do in the hotel room so I can usually have my rough cuts done by the end of the day.

I create memior/biographical videos for people, so being able to scan in their pictures for use in the documentry is a nice thing to have on the road. I don't have to worry about taking them to my condo, them getting lost in the mail, me loosing them, etc. I can do it in their own home while I'm there to shoot video.

Chances are when this tower is useless, I'll be hard pressed to by another one and sometime fall of 2007 I plan to buy a new Mactel.

These days, for me, laptops just make more sense. I'll take slightly less power for the mobility trade off anyday.

#62 XIII

XIII

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:Chess, Technical Analysis, Reading and Computing

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:08 AM

Hi all,

Am my way to purchase a new laptop, bu tin between i had a doubt either to go for a new laptop or update the exesitng desktop machiene, then i decided to post it on the astahost where i can get the proper answer.

please all asta users judge which one to go for and why, their's pro and corns.

Please let me know.

If Desktop what should be the ideal configuration and same for the laptop also.

Regards
Arunkumar.H.G

it depends, if i'm into getting the most better features for portabillity, then ofcourse without doubt i'll go with a laptop, if i want the most powerful features like graphics, and so on, i will go with a desktop.
ofcourse there are alot of basis to choose between, for example, if u need games, graphic designing, ...etc from things these need loads of memory and graphics and so on, u should get a desktop, i prefer a laptop cause i travel alot, i have some business which i can't be away from, like stocks trading and forex, so i must have a pc all the way around, also i'm a web developer so all i need is a notepad and internet connection, and i don't play 3d games, i prefer text based games and so no need for a high graphic support, also i don't need so much storage space and no much ram as i use linux even, ubuntu distro, so i just need nearly the minimum requirements u can know right now on any pc :P
but as i said from the begining, it depend, both have there advantages and down-sides :D

#63 Termin-X-man

Termin-X-man

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:55 PM

Desktops, mostly because I am a gamer and I need to be able to easily upgrade my system. And with laptops they tend to overheat. For regular work a Laptop is a good thing to have though because of portability. But again, Laptops are more expensive to manufacture so they can cost you more.

#64 mustra

mustra

Member [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:17 AM

i dont have time to read all, but i want to say 2 things

laptops can now be fully upgraded, has new ones all come with pci express tec, wich means u can change graphic cards, sound board and more stuff,

there pretty good game graphic cards for laptops, with shared power source, wich mean they save battery when u are mobile but they also can achieve traditional gfx results when you are connect to power supply,

laptops are catching up on desktops really fast !

ive seen a turion 64 amd 3200, ati gfx pci express 512, 1,024 ddr2 100 gbs disk space, widscreen , for 1500 dollars,

wich rounds about the same price of a desktop.

#65 kgd2006

kgd2006

Premium Member

• [HOSTED]
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:36 AM

Although im currently using a laptop right now for a computer, I prefer a desktop because with it you can do so much more and have much more power too. Laptops are overpriced and are limited in power, but features a on the go experiance for computer users. Desktops can be upgraded so you dont have to to go out and by a whole new computer every few years, so that would be my reasoning why I would perfer desktops over laptops. Im actually going to be getting a desktop computer as soon as the time is right for me. Because I believe new upgrades and computer stuff should be coming out soon. So I wanna make sure that I will be getting the most recent hardware before I actually go an upgrade myself to another computer.

#66 snutz411

snutz411

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:27 PM

This would all depend on what you need to use the computer for. People who want to game or need high end specifications will definitely want a desktop. However for people that are mobile, they will want a laptop.

I personally like to use my laptop. I am a college student, so it is very useful to bring around to classes. I bought it 2 years ago and definitely paid the high price to make sure it will still be in good shape down the road. I like being able to unplug and just take my laptop anywhere with me, and have all the resources I need from a computer to get through the day.

If you are going to invest in a latop, don't be cheap. You'll regret it down the road since the only thing you can really upgrade in a laptop is memory and a hard drive, which will be expensive nonetheless. I paid aroudn $3000 for my Dell 600m and its still good today.

1.6 gHz Pentium M Processor
512mb ram
60gig hd
64mb video card
14.1" LCD screen

I also have an external 19" LCD monitor to hook my laptop to when I need it, but I don't recommend using a laptop as a desktop replacement. You'll end up lugging around a 15lb weight that will most likely just sit on your desk because you don't want to bring it anywhere.

Although in the near future, I may be investing in a new desktop system from theses makers...http://sys.us.shuttle.com/

They make Small Form Factor computers that look really nice. I'll end up paying around $2600 for a high end gaming computer from them. It'll have dual-core AMD 64-bit processor, dual 256mb Nvidia video card, 2gig ram, 250gig SATA HD. And it'll all be in the case that is a little longer than a Gamecube.

#67 mediafork

mediafork

Member [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:36 PM

Well obviously there are many pros and cons for both laptops and desktop computers. Personally I have a laptop but that is simply due to the fact that I need something portable so I can work and play while i'm on the move, although desktop computers have far more power and speed capabilities.

I do own a desktop computer aswell and whilst it is better, faster and generally a more efficient computer than my laptop it simply isn't as practical and convenient to use it especially since I use a wireless connection so I can sit and surf the net whilst I sit down on a comfortable couch and watch tv at the same time or something.

Anyway, there's my opinion.

#68 Mafamba Team

Mafamba Team

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:25 PM

I think that you need both really, one for when you are mobile around the hosue and need to note different things, and one for when you arein a big rush and need quick speed.

As long as you have a trustorthy pal of a USB flash Drive, your perfectly OK!

#69 Opethian

Opethian

Member [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:30 PM

I was going to say that after using a desktop for 10 years, moving to a laptop is now a more feasible solution for me, just because I don't have a permanent address, and would like to create stuff on the go. Although I will have to agree with Mafamba Team's comment. Having both is the ideal setup, since a laptop is very expensive, and a cutting edge PC will always be cheaper.

#70 SP Rao

SP Rao

Member [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:41 PM

Well well well... Quite a discusion going on here. Well, I'm also in the same dilemma of whether to go for a laptop or a desktop. Ofcourse there are pros and cons.

First of all, the purpose of buying the PC matters the most. If you want to do some serious programing and you move around too much and don't want to waste time, you can always choose a laptop. Simply because of its mobility. You need enough charging points though :)

Other than the mobility factor, everything else is a disadvantage in a laptop.
I'm listing some of them below.
1) A laptop costs twice as much as a desktop costs. - Upgradations too are twice as expensive, twice as difficult. The moral of the story- expensive to buy; expensive to maintain. Definitely heavy on your pockets.
2)The mouse is the most irritating part about a laptop. I've always found it very difficut to handle it. Even after using laptop for more than an year, I still find it a nuisance. I agree one can attach a normal mouse to the laptop, but then mobility factor has gone to the dogs!
3)The keyboard in itself is a nuisance. I always find the keys a little too small for my fingers. You can get best of the wired desktop keyboards for INR 400 (That's $9).
4)The battery of the laptops ain't that great. It'll last around 1hr-2.5hr depending on the model and make you choose. If you want further time, you need to buy extra batteries which will cost you like hell.
5)You can view the laptop only at certain angles. At other ngles screen looks blank. That means, if you're watching a movie on your laptop, only you can watch it comfortably. Well, you have a desktop, your entire gang can join the show.
6)If something goes wrong with a deskop, you can always experiment by opening it(For minor poblems atleast), can't really say the same about a laptop.
7) If you're into gaming, definitely it's stupid to get a laptop.

There's more. But I'll stop at it.

I'm going to buy a lapop because,
1) I travel for 4 hrs inside my company cab everyday, all thanks to the beautiful traffic of Bangalore! That too to covr a distance of 20km to and fro included! Which means, my cab moves inch by inch without making me feel I'm travelling. You know what I'm arrivng at. I can use laptop t this time.
2)I have some i-fi zons where I usually visit where I can just go online.

The choice depends on one's needs- Thats the moral of the story.
(Even with so many didvantages, I still choose Laptops!)

Edited by SP Rao, 23 September 2006 - 07:48 PM.

#71 webintern

webintern

Member - Active Contributor

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:40 PM

It is interesting how this thread continues long after the original poster had probably his bought new laptop or desktop--or both! This just shows how relevant a topic it is for all of us. I myself am contemplating purchasing a new machine within the next year to replace my aging Dell Inspiron 8xxx (yes, it is ancient). I also wondered about whether to get a laptop or desktop. The last few computers I had were laptops, but there is definitely the appeal of desktops. For a bang-for-buck ratio, desktops deliver much more power and are more easily extensible. With a desktop, I can also invest in a 500-inch monitor so I don't have to squint to see the small details on the laptop screen. I would also feel more comfortable leaving my desktop on 24/7/365 to act as a server (not to replace AstaHost, of course; but for intranet or VPN purposes) than I would my laptop.

But, despite all these advantages from having a desktop, I think my next computer will once again be a laptop. Laptops are quickly coming down in price and are similarly rising in power. They are adept at handling most applications (maybe except for the more power-hungry games). The screen sizes have not changed much, but I can live with a 15- or 17-inch monitor. I mean, I have been using them for as long as I can remember.

The ultimate clincher for me in getting a laptop is that I value my mobility. I enjoy moving from the office to the living room to the bedroom to the wherever whenever I feel like it. I enjoy bringing my computer with me to the cafe when I need a change of venue to do work. I enjoy bringing my computer across the country to family reunions or various meetings. The portability of a laptop versus a desktop is practically impossible to beat.

So, as it turns out, maybe the next time I purchase a desktop is when I will not use it as a replacement for my primary computer, but as an adjunct for the home network.

#72 noddy

noddy

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:console modding<br />RPG's<br />web design<br />

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:16 AM

I prefer desktops mainly because of the fact that with handheld devices like blackberrys and psps can do everything i need on the go.
i use my psp for web browsing and gaming, it may not have the game range of a pc but
you dont need to worry about overheating and battery life and i just use my pc at home for everything else.

Edited by noddy, 26 September 2006 - 05:17 AM.

#73 orenji_jaro

orenji_jaro

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:16 AM

dont you think laptop is much betetr? o.o'

cos now laptops screens are compelte its LCD its as big as desktop screens and it can be faster like desktop.
the only thing is... laptops are handy and can be brought anywhere than desktop so laptop wins ^^

#74 Zerbirus

Zerbirus

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:30 AM

PCs are cheaper and the hardware is cheaper to buy, but i'd love a laptop :P

#75 ahender

ahender

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:30 AM

I voted desktop but mostly because ive had trouble with laptops overheating and power problems. However if you travel at all laptops would be for you. On the other hand desktops are cooler(In two ways) and can be upgraded easily. well thats my half cent.

#76 torres1287

torres1287

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:41 PM

I love my laptop because it is basically a mobile desktop.

I have a HP Pavilion zx5000.
Intel Pentium 4
Windows XP Home Edition
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
3 USB ports
5-in-1 Digital media port
Ethernet/modem connection
Wireless Internet
17' Widescreen
Harman/Kardon speakers
SoundMAX

...as well as a lot of other stuff. :P

The Cons:

~My battery life after 2-3 years is about 45 minutes to an hour. (Less when running more complicated programs like Bryce 5)
~The cooling fans run ALL the time

...that really is all I can think of. :P I gave you the specifics of my laptop because it is considered by most as a desktop on wheels. Blessings on finding your perfect computer!

Have a great day everyone!

#77 talktime

talktime

Member [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:48 PM

I use to like Laptops because it is portable and easy to carry. Then my laptop went dead and I bought a desktop. I started liking desktop more because of it is upgradeable and cheap lives longer too. I still use it but then came the wireless networking and now I like laptop and desktop both. Desktop for easy upgrade and stuff while laptop for the mobility. If I am going to burger king or starbucks I can carry my laptop many places provide wireless connectivity and that’s why I like laptop. So after all it is important to know the end use before I can decide whether desktop is preferable or laptop.
Thanks

note: laptop is a misnomer, you can call it notebook computer. all the notebeook makers reccommend not placing notebook computer on your lap because it gets too hot.

Edited by talktime, 15 November 2006 - 02:59 PM.

#78 Levis

Levis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • myCENTs:1.60

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:47 AM

It really boils down to what you want it for. For example someone who is always on the move would definitely be more suited for a laptop if he or she can not afford to get both. Or if that person is a techie like me and need one for trouble-shooting in the field. Laptops are nice to have and prove themselves worthy 99% of the time.

But like rkage say there are downsides to them also. They cost more than desktop with same specs, and can really warm up your pants with long use in you lap. You tend to crouch over a lot which is not good for you posture, and the list goes on. But wouldn’t you be happy if you could fold up your car and take it with you when you travel?

Laptops to me are for convenience so if it’s convent to you to have one then get it. But still fix up you desktop. Or if you can’t get both, the laptop may have the edge in my opinion. You can take it anywhere and still use it at home.

Right, i have both, one for travel an one to run my home network and to test new software products etc. If your a massive gamer and need a lot of horsepower then go for a desktop. But if you just need it to type up docs, create websites, search for pics, research; then go for the laptop if you have enough money. If your really rich then you can get a nice laptop that is suitable for gaming and video editing. If you want something fairly cheap and you want to mix and match, get yourself a VAIO FS series. Great graphics and a stable PC.

#79 Kardus

Kardus

Member [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 01:56 AM

It honestly depends on what suits YOU. If you require the portability most of the time, you're always on the go, and you're willing to shell out some more money for a good system, you might lean towards a laptop. Don't forget that you'll also want to get more batteries if you're actually going to use a laptop THAT much. An AC adapter takes away from the mobility :)

If you want for "bang for your buck," and don't need to do extensive computing on the road, consider purchasing a good ol' desktop. On the plus side, the option to upgrade in a desktop is great if you're a computer buff. If you do require to check/send e-mails and the like, a good PDA combined with a good desktop will last for a very long time.

#80 masterio

masterio

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 01:20 PM

It's all depend on your needs. Desktop computer is cheaper than laptop but if you're mobile people laptop is suit for you. BTW the the performance for laptop is almost like Desktop PC. At home I have desktop and laptop. My main reason why I bought laptop is because in My college internet is Free(Wi-Fi). So why not use it :) .

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users