Welcome to AstaHost - Dear Guest , Please Register here to get Your own website. - Ask a Question / Express Opinion / Reply w/o Sign-Up!

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  yordan : (14 April 2014 - 05:28 PM) By The Way, This Could Be An Interesting Subject For A Topic, What About Posting This Question? Let's See If Other People Have The Same Feeling Concerning Bootlists!
@  yordan : (13 April 2014 - 09:36 AM) Boot Order : Cd, [Usb,] Hard Drive :D
@  yordan : (11 April 2014 - 07:23 PM) I Simply Let The Bios Do That
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:23 AM) Is It Possible To Launch Fedora Live Cd Or Installation Disk From Hard Drive On Windows Platform Using Grub Mbr File.
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:21 AM) No U Are Not.. Btw.. I Have Question For You.
@  yordan : (10 April 2014 - 08:02 AM) You Are Partially Right.
I Was Not.
Nevertheless, I Am Again :)
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) :P
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) I Think U R Not..
@  yordan : (09 April 2014 - 09:28 AM) I'm The Master Of The Shoutbox!
@  yordan : (05 April 2014 - 10:32 PM) He-He
@  Ritesh : (04 April 2014 - 06:59 PM) Ha Ha Ha ....
@  yordan : (04 April 2014 - 11:15 AM) Welcome Back, Starscream!
@  yordan : (03 April 2014 - 02:31 PM) And I Hope That He Will Come Back Soon :)
@  yordan : (01 April 2014 - 02:53 PM) Nice, Ritesh Came, I'm Not Home Alone Today.
@  Ritesh : (01 April 2014 - 08:51 AM) Oh!!! Poor Dear Yordan..
@  yordan : (31 March 2014 - 10:02 AM) I'm A Poor Lonesome Cow-Boy
@  yordan : (27 March 2014 - 02:22 PM) He Is Unpatient Due To His Patients!
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) :(
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) He Is Busy With His Patients.
@  yordan : (26 March 2014 - 08:12 PM) Ahsani, Where Are You?

Photo
- - - - -

How To Hide Your Files In XP hide doc and folders

23 replies to this topic

#1 harriko

harriko

Premium Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:49 PM

In this tutorial i will show ou how to hide your documents or folders, but you have to remember where it is! ok lets go!

pick a file you want to hide from windows XP, to help you i will hide a file "hidden.doc" in "C:"

open command prompt:
START>RUN>CMD

you might find yourself in your user directory. in the command prompt go into the directory of where your file is going to be hidden.

as my "hidden.doc" is in "C:" i will use "cd.." command to "change directory before" till i get into my C: drive

once your there use the attributes command on the file you are hiding. this is what you put into the command prompt.

attrib +r +a +s +h hidden.doc

replace the hidden.doc with your own file.

hope you find this useful!

#2 ChronicLoser

ChronicLoser

Premium Member

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:guitar (classical yamaha, acoustic/electric takamine), viola (fleming), dogs (border collies), web designing/graphics, working out, running (6-10 miles daily), basketball, etc.

Posted 16 February 2005 - 04:29 AM

...okay, say my file is hidden. Then how do i access it again?

And when you say "hidden", is it the same thing as when you right-click>Properties then check the hidden box? Or is this a different type of file hiding? lol

oops, nevermind. I just tried it, and I have no idea where hidden.doc ran off to, lol. Alright, so how do i access the hidden file?

#3 miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

PsYcheDeLiC dR3aMeR

• Members
  • 2,248 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Magic Tricks, Numismatics & Philately to some extent, Being a nuisance in general (that's my favourite)
  • myCENTs:NEGATIVE[-21.50]

Posted 16 February 2005 - 07:33 AM

lol.. CHronicLoser.. stop before you kill me.. roflmao.

Anyways, you can use that attrib command over entire directory contents.. So if anyone's ever trying to find out where the hidden files ran off to - if you have any idea about it's containing directory - go in there and do a:

attrib -GetRidOfAllOfThem *.*

naah am just kidding.. doing a attrib -h *.* would suffice

Btw, your files never really get hidden this way - they just fail to show up on a diectory listing with the dir command or in the explorer file view because of their +h or +s attributes. But if you have the Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders in your Windows Explorer turned to ON, all such files become visible immediately. The same can be achieved by using dir /a command in console.

Incidentally since we are taking about dos based attributes, I'd like to mention one little option that can be used with the "dir" command. It goes like:

dir /o:n /p

Cryptic ?? /o: X - means the ORDER in which you want to files to be displayed. X here can be replaced with anything from
n - for name based alphabetical listing
t - listing where files are grouped according to their type
d - to group files according to date of creation
s - to group them by their sizes

The last /p option tells dir to display the files PAGE-BY-PAGE so they don't just scroll off the screen without you being able to see the list completely.

If you don't want to specify these options over and over again, everytime you do a dir, then you can include this syntax in your autoexec.bat file.

SET DIRCMD = /o:n /p

As you can see, this will set an environmental variable that the dir command reads while listing files.

All the best :P

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Member - Active Contributor

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 03:58 PM

the best means of hidding a file in XP is keeping it in My Documents, so which other users, unless an administrator, cannot access. The owner screen name's documents can't even be accesses by other admins, along with I think the administrator account, but thats disabled unless you are in safe mode or no other accouts exist, at least in XP home.

#5 ChronicLoser

ChronicLoser

Premium Member

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:guitar (classical yamaha, acoustic/electric takamine), viola (fleming), dogs (border collies), web designing/graphics, working out, running (6-10 miles daily), basketball, etc.

Posted 27 February 2005 - 08:46 PM

lol.. CHronicLoser.. stop before you kill me.. roflmao.

Anyways, you can use that attrib command over entire directory contents.. So if anyone's ever trying to find out where the hidden files ran off to - if you have any idea about it's containing directory - go in there and do a:

attrib -GetRidOfAllOfThem *.*

naah am just kidding.. doing a attrib -h *.* would suffice

Btw, your files never really get hidden this way - they just fail to show up on a diectory listing with the dir command or in the explorer file view because of their +h or +s attributes.  But if you have the Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders in your Windows Explorer turned to ON, all such files become visible immediately. The same can be achieved by using dir /a command in console.

Incidentally since we are taking about dos based attributes, I'd like to mention one little option that can be used with the "dir" command. It goes like:

dir /o:n /p

Cryptic ?? /o: X - means the ORDER in which you want to files to be displayed. X here can be replaced with anything from
n - for name based alphabetical listing
t - listing where files are grouped according to their type
d - to group files according to date of creation
s - to group them by their sizes

The last /p option tells dir to display the files PAGE-BY-PAGE so they don't just scroll off the screen without you being able to see the list completely.

If you don't want to specify these options over and over again, everytime you do a dir, then you can include this syntax in your autoexec.bat file.

SET DIRCMD = /o:n /p

As you can see, this will set an environmental variable that the dir command reads while listing files.

All the best :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm...i dunno. I always keep my "hidden" option on...yet I couldn't see it after typing in "attrib +r +a +s +h hidden.doc". Nevertheless "attrib -r -a -s -h hidden.doc" revealed the file back to me. I dunno. I'm somewhat ignorant when it comes to dos. Oh well.

Oops, i just realized that I'm not using Windows XP... >_<

#6 abhishek

abhishek

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 04:41 PM

Why use command promt while windows allows you to hide files by just entering into the file properties box and checking the hidden attrib.
And to restoring can also be done without using command prompt.

#7 abhiram

abhiram

Hedonist at large

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Music (both playing and listening)

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:03 PM

Hey, I wrote a tutorial on the same topic not too long ago. There are 2 methods in mine. One of them is this one. Sorry, I didn't know this topic was done before. Here's the post:

http://www.astahost....ders-t7128.html

m^e: That's a neat idea, but what do you do about it in winxp? I mean, autoexec.bat is 0 bytes long in mine :D. I don't think winxp uses autoexec.bat.

#8 Jeigh

Jeigh

Whitest Black Mage

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • Interests:My interests are my hobbies, and ironically enough my hobbies are my interests. I'm quite interested in my hobbies, much more so then my interests... but I spend more time with my interests as my hobbies are often rude with me so I don't enjoy talking to them as much.
  • myCENTs:93.97

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:27 PM

Hmm, I'll have to play around with that tonight. Not that I have a use for it, but why not? lol

#9 abhay

abhay

Member [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:56 AM

attrib +r +a +s +h hidden.doc

We can easily set three attributes out of the above four attributes by simply right clicking on any folder or file. They are simply

+r :Read Only
+a : Archive
+h : hidden

and the fourth one "+s " is for system file attribute.
Any file or folder made hidden with this attribute can be made visible by opening
explorer>tools>folder options>view
and then by unchecking on the check box 'Hide Protected Operating System Files' and by showing hidden files simultaneously.

#10 joe.k

joe.k

Member [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:48 PM

ooooooh... nice :P
i havent tried it yet but i preffer no to.
it more easier to hide them from properties page :P
guess what the hell i am gona use this option for anyway :P :P
and i am kinda a newbie in CMD command :P

#11 seec77

seec77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:56 PM

This hack seems very dirty and quick to me. This is like renaming a file so as to confuse about its contents. The best method for these kinds of things is built into the Windows user management, as someone else already mentioned. Otherwise, just encrypt your files using a program for that purpose (and there are lots of free ones to do so).

#12 Niru

Niru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:Painting, Drawing, Web Designing, Animation
  • myCENTs:27.54

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:53 AM

Hey!! If we set the attribute 's' to a particular file or folder, then it becomes a a System file/folder.
so if you do attrib +s +h file.doc the file will be hidden + system...

and you can still view the file without changing the attributes by unchecking the option " Hide Protected Operating System Files (System)" in Tools>folder Options>

and If you want to change back the attribute , you just need to run the command attrib -s -h file.doc

Edited by Niru, 01 January 2007 - 09:54 AM.

#13 quinciest

quinciest

Member [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:32 AM

i think that it can used for remove virus i mean a virus
because sometime virus hide it self

why you don't use software
find it in google.com

#14 agriogata

agriogata

Newbie [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:06 PM

very nice thanks alot
is very convenient if your PC is shared :rolleyes:
is very fast tooo

thanks alot is useful!!!

#15 Ronel

Ronel

Member - Active Contributor

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:08 PM

this ain't new...even though the dos way is quite nice!

Here is THE simple way!

1. Right-click on the file/folder you want to be hidden(shh!)
2. Click Properties.
3. At the Properties dialog, you will see a entry "Attributes:"(see picture)
4. You will see there a checkbox hidden....click it!
5. Click OK or Apply.

Easy!

#16 Guest_FeedBacker_*

Guest_FeedBacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:10 AM

how to hide a file in c
How To Hide Your Files In XP

Replying to harriko

Sir according to your kind suggestion I used the same syntax but when I again edit the file the file opened,but I want to hide.Please suggest me.

-reply by sudhansu sekhar sahoo

#17 ethergeek

ethergeek

Premium Member

• [HOSTED]
  • 393 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:38 PM

There's another post like this around somewhere that I've said the same thing on: hiding files is pointless!

If you're the computer's only administrative user, just change the permissions on the file or the directory its in. If there are other admin users, just install something like TrueCrypt to stash your private files in. If you don't have admin on the computer, just keep your private files on a thumb drive.

Or better yet, keep a copy of GPG and your keyrings on a thumb drive and just encrypt your files when you aren't using them. The same effect can be achieved by a password-protected 7-zip or RAR file.

Simply hiding files just doesn't work...this was great to keep your files safe from your kids back in the DOS days...but in modern times...no. If your privacy is at all important, put a little more effort into maintaining it.

#18 Guest_FeedBacker_*

Guest_FeedBacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:41 AM

see hide folder in doc command

Sir
I am working in windows 2003 server

-reply by vinit

#19 Guest_iGuest-Yoan_*

Guest_iGuest-Yoan_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:59 PM

it

RonelNov 26 2007, 03:08 PM
This ain't new...Even though the dos way is quite nice!

Here is THE simple way!

1. Right-click on the file/folder you want to be hidden(shh!)
2. Click Properties.
3. At the Properties dialog, you will see a entry "Attributes:"(see picture)
4. You will see there a checkbox hidden...Click it!
5. Click OK or Apply.

Easy!

Easy, but not the same effect... If in folder options there is checked the option to view hidden files you;ll can see it... By the first case it's not possible

-reply by Yoan

#20 Guest_(G)hashim_*

Guest_(G)hashim_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:04 PM

to unhideHow To Hide Your Files In XP

hey just use this command to unhide the file...

attrib filename -r -a -s -h

filename : In the filename area you have to enter the filename which you have hidden. 

-reply by hashim

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users