Welcome to AstaHost - Dear Guest , Please Register here to get Your own website. - Ask a Question / Express Opinion / Reply w/o Sign-Up!

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  yordan : (14 April 2014 - 05:28 PM) By The Way, This Could Be An Interesting Subject For A Topic, What About Posting This Question? Let's See If Other People Have The Same Feeling Concerning Bootlists!
@  yordan : (13 April 2014 - 09:36 AM) Boot Order : Cd, [Usb,] Hard Drive :D
@  yordan : (11 April 2014 - 07:23 PM) I Simply Let The Bios Do That
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:23 AM) Is It Possible To Launch Fedora Live Cd Or Installation Disk From Hard Drive On Windows Platform Using Grub Mbr File.
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:21 AM) No U Are Not.. Btw.. I Have Question For You.
@  yordan : (10 April 2014 - 08:02 AM) You Are Partially Right.
I Was Not.
Nevertheless, I Am Again :)
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) :P
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) I Think U R Not..
@  yordan : (09 April 2014 - 09:28 AM) I'm The Master Of The Shoutbox!
@  yordan : (05 April 2014 - 10:32 PM) He-He
@  Ritesh : (04 April 2014 - 06:59 PM) Ha Ha Ha ....
@  yordan : (04 April 2014 - 11:15 AM) Welcome Back, Starscream!
@  yordan : (03 April 2014 - 02:31 PM) And I Hope That He Will Come Back Soon :)
@  yordan : (01 April 2014 - 02:53 PM) Nice, Ritesh Came, I'm Not Home Alone Today.
@  Ritesh : (01 April 2014 - 08:51 AM) Oh!!! Poor Dear Yordan..
@  yordan : (31 March 2014 - 10:02 AM) I'm A Poor Lonesome Cow-Boy
@  yordan : (27 March 2014 - 02:22 PM) He Is Unpatient Due To His Patients!
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) :(
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) He Is Busy With His Patients.
@  yordan : (26 March 2014 - 08:12 PM) Ahsani, Where Are You?

Photo
- - - - -

Lowercase "desktop"? How do I make Desktop lowercase in the Places menu

3 replies to this topic

#1 Mordent

Mordent

Premium Member

• [HOSTED]
  • 271 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:52 PM

After last week's update fiasco, system running Fedora 10 seems to be back on track. By that, I mean everything is working pretty smoothly, although there's a few little issues I've yet to resolve:

The main one, and the whole point of this topic, is trying to find out how I can change "Desktop" to "desktop" in the "Places" menu. Being an electronic engineering student, I've done what I consider to be good practice and started naming files and directories all in lower case, with underscores instead of spaces, using not much punctuation (i.e. I use the occasional hyphen).

For the sake of argument, let's say that my username on my system is "myuser" (i.e. all lower case). In my home directory (i.e. /home/myuser/) there are a whole range of default directories, such as "Documents", "Music", "Templates" and so on. I've managed to rename these to "documents", "music" and "templates" (etc.) without breaking any links such that when I click on the "Places" menu at the top of the screen I see the directories in lowercase and everything seems great. I should also point out that my home directory shows as "myuser's home", which is what I wanted, so yay! :rolleyes:

I then came to trying to alter the directory called "Desktop", which is the only one left that's giving me any grief. After various web browsing and forum trawling (which was also part of the process when renaming the other directories), I came across a page that pointed me towards "/home/myuser/.config/user-dirs.dir"

The contents of that file now look like this (after various tweaking of cases):

# This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update
# If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're
# interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run
# Format is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped
# homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an
# absolute path. No other format is supported.
#
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/desktop"
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/download"
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/templates"
XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/public"
XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/documents"
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/music"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/pictures"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/videos"

I should point out that originally a number of the files there, possibly all of them, as I forgot to make a copy and back it up (terrible, I know...), had the first letter of the directories listed in uppercase.

I remember changing for certain the desktop one, though, as it complained about some sort of broken somesuch if I didn't...now, that's all very well and good, and when I click on any of the directories in the Places menu it has no trouble opening the right thing. Even the "Desktop" one now opens the correct directory, but it still appears in the "Places" list as "Desktop", and not "desktop", despite the fact that the folder in my home folder is now called "desktop" (and works fine, it even has the desktop icon instead of a folder)

Any suggestions as to how I can get around this? It's the only one that's not conforming to my (probably too) rigorous naming scheme. :P

Any and all help or advice would be appreciated, as although it's functioning fine seeing one little thing different that doesn't really have a reason for being different grates against my inner-perfectionist. :P

Cheers!

#2 xboxrulz

xboxrulz

Colonel Panic

• Members
  • 3,057 posts
  • myCENTs:59.15

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:01 AM

This file looks like it is very distribution specific. Plus, I believe that this file only work on GNOME since if I remember correctly, you can set all these paths in KDE's control centre.

xboxrulz

#3 wutske

wutske

Way Out Of Control - You need a life :)

• [HOSTED]
  • 1,443 posts
  • myCENTs:98.90

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:26 AM

haha, lol :rolleyes:
The fact that the Desktop thingy in your places is with a capital has probably something to do with the localisation (translation). You shouldn't be looking for directories to change this, but for localisation files.
Maybe this link helps: http://live.gnome.or...calisationGuide

#4 Mordent

Mordent

Premium Member

• [HOSTED]
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:57 AM

haha, lol :rolleyes:
The fact that the Desktop thingy in your places is with a capital has probably something to do with the localisation (translation). You shouldn't be looking for directories to change this, but for localisation files.
Maybe this link helps: http://live.gnome.or...calisationGuide

Hmmm...sounds more like the sort of thing I need to read, but I wouldn't know where to start. :P

Perhaps something for when I have a little more free time on my hands, or if someone else fancies having a go they're more than welcome to. Let me know how you do! Seems odd to me that it can't be easily changed, or at least not obviously...ah well.

Thanks!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users