Welcome to AstaHost - Dear Guest , Please Register here to get Your own website. - Ask a Question / Express Opinion / Reply w/o Sign-Up!

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  yordan : (14 April 2014 - 05:28 PM) By The Way, This Could Be An Interesting Subject For A Topic, What About Posting This Question? Let's See If Other People Have The Same Feeling Concerning Bootlists!
@  yordan : (13 April 2014 - 09:36 AM) Boot Order : Cd, [Usb,] Hard Drive :D
@  yordan : (11 April 2014 - 07:23 PM) I Simply Let The Bios Do That
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:23 AM) Is It Possible To Launch Fedora Live Cd Or Installation Disk From Hard Drive On Windows Platform Using Grub Mbr File.
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:21 AM) No U Are Not.. Btw.. I Have Question For You.
@  yordan : (10 April 2014 - 08:02 AM) You Are Partially Right.
I Was Not.
Nevertheless, I Am Again :)
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) :P
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) I Think U R Not..
@  yordan : (09 April 2014 - 09:28 AM) I'm The Master Of The Shoutbox!
@  yordan : (05 April 2014 - 10:32 PM) He-He
@  Ritesh : (04 April 2014 - 06:59 PM) Ha Ha Ha ....
@  yordan : (04 April 2014 - 11:15 AM) Welcome Back, Starscream!
@  yordan : (03 April 2014 - 02:31 PM) And I Hope That He Will Come Back Soon :)
@  yordan : (01 April 2014 - 02:53 PM) Nice, Ritesh Came, I'm Not Home Alone Today.
@  Ritesh : (01 April 2014 - 08:51 AM) Oh!!! Poor Dear Yordan..
@  yordan : (31 March 2014 - 10:02 AM) I'm A Poor Lonesome Cow-Boy
@  yordan : (27 March 2014 - 02:22 PM) He Is Unpatient Due To His Patients!
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) :(
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) He Is Busy With His Patients.
@  yordan : (26 March 2014 - 08:12 PM) Ahsani, Where Are You?

Photo
- - - - -

Free Web Hosting (docduke) Free Website: ddodc.info

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 docduke

docduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:02 AM

Greetings. I have been posting for a few days on programming languages and details of MediaWiki, Python and antivirus programs. I have accumulated (your system tells me) 31.18 credits, so I am requesting:
# Package 2 (150mb w/ 5000mb BW) : 30 Credits.
I have a domain name ddodc.info (Doc Duke of Duke City) parked with GoDaddy, and would like to use the package with that domain name.

I have been working with computers for (this is not a misprint) 50 years, beginning with an IBM drum computer at the Department of Agriculture in Washington, DC, while I was a high school student. I am now retired. I have a number of networked home computers, every one of which has at least 2 personalities (bootable partitions), usually one version of Windows and one version of Linux.

I use both phpBB and MediaWiki daily as note-taking tools through my home network. I have put up very basic web pages at Comcast and elsewhere, but never with the intent of creating a significant public presence. Now, I have some ideas I would like to spread as internet memes, so here I am. If you grant me access to your services, my first steps will be to get software like phpBB and MediaWiki up on "my" domain. The Wiki is likely to be more challenging, because I make frequent use of equations (math formulas), and that requires some extras, one of which (ImageMagick) is mentioned in your introductory materials, which is why I am trying your service first.

Notes to administrators: You could make the initial process for applicants simpler if you expanded the text on your Forum home page. You say "Once you get the required credits you can post an application for hosting" but you give no indication of what should be in that application or where it should be posted. You also need to correct the link on the AstaHost Forum home page to point to astahost.com/manage, and not to Trap17.com/process. Finally, your FAQ link is busted. It redirects to an Apache Cpanel placeholder, containing an email link (webmaster@astahost.com) which does not exist.

I needed to correspond with Shree by email to get directed here. There is also a bug in your forum software (also in phpBB) that tells me I am logged in, but then will not let me post. It's probably a left-over cookie from a previous session, but it convinced me I was not allowed to post in certain areas, including here.

#2 docduke

docduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:38 AM

I would like to request free web hosting from Astahost.
Please find my application below.
[Copied and pasted from another application (Impious). I'm still not completely clear how this process works!]

* Your Registered Domain Name or Desired Astahost Subdomain Name:
o ddodc.info

* Account Username:
o docduke

* Introduction:
o Retired PhD computational physicist

* Email Address:
o duke@winsor.com

* Country Where I Live:
o US

* My Websites Theme:
o Information storage / exchange

* Reason I Chose Astahost:
o Good choice of software tools, according to reviews

* How I Found Astahost:
o Free-webhosts.com

* My Previous Host:
o Comcast (barely)

* Reason For Leaving My Previous Host:
o Intend to leave Comcast

* Desired Hosting Package:
o #2: Regular Package

* Additional Comments:
o See first post in this thread

I have read, understand, accept, and agree with the Terms Of Service, Acceptable Use Policy, and The Forum Rules:
YES, I Agree!

Thank You,
Duke

#3 velma

velma

Member - Active Contributor

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • myCENTs:97.89

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:00 AM

Hello And Welcome DocDuke ^_^

My name is Velma and I am one of the moderators here, I also work for ComputingHost ( Paid Hosting by Xisto).

To use your domain with our hosting, you have to merely change the nameservers to NS1.COMPUTINGHOST.COM,NS2.COMPUTINGHOST.COM and NS3.COMPUTINGHOST.COM

I am really impressed by your knowledge and work experience with computers ;) and it is really an honor to have you here as a member.

About the problems you pointed out, I apologize for all of the confusion and I appreciate the feedback and have asked Shree to solve all of the issues.

I hope you enjoy the forums. Wishing you a Happy New Year!

Your Web Hosting Application has been approved

Please follow the below link to :

Learn How To Activate Your Hosting

Please Check your email for the details later ;)

#4 docduke

docduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:00 PM

Thanks very much for the kind words! (And I'll be polite ^_^ so please don't kick me where you do the guy in your animation! ;) ) Yes I have many years of experience, but things are changing so much that keeping up with it is a real challenge! Fortunately, there are some people who are on the right track -- the problem is finding them. Radio engineers call it finding the signal in the noise.

When I first started looking for a web host, I assumed all were paid services. I found one (incorporated in Canada, servers in New Jersey, US) and emailed their "sales" department a couple of questions. No response. I started looking around some more. I found Free-webhosts.com and checked out every website there that had 50 reviews or more. In looking around, I saw that you had many features I was looking for, and specifically that you had ImageMagick. That convinced me to try you first.

When I started posting on your Forum, I felt like Luke arriving on Dagobah. (For anyone reading this who doesn't understand the references, check out who and where.) I would like to think I could do better than Luke. In particular, I already had in my notes (on my home Wiki) a link to OpaQue's yoda, with a notation to contact him iif I couldn't get any response by email.

We now live in a time of great awakening. What I have done until now, I have done mostly on my own. I am not a gregarious person. However, these times require networking, and doing it on a global level. I am fortunate to have found your services, and I hope to honor them with a purpose that rewards us all!

Sincerely,
docduke

#5 docduke

docduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:52 AM

To generate an application for free web hosting please click here: Free Web Hosting Request Form

I would like to request free web hosting from Astahost.
Please find my application below.
  • Your Registered Domain Name or Desired Astahost Subdomain Name:
    • ddodc.info
  • Account Username:
    • docwins
  • Introduction:
    • Retired PhD computational physicist
  • Email Address:
    • duke@winsor.com
  • Country Where I Live:
    • US
  • My Websites Theme:
    • Information storage and exchange
  • Reason I Chose Astahost:
    • Availability of software tools
  • How I Found Astahost:
    • Free-webhosts.com
  • My Previous Host:
    • Comcast
  • Reason For Leaving My Previous Host:
    • Leaving comcast
  • Desired Hosting Package:
    • #2: Regular Package
  • Additional Comments:
    • The "nonstandard" application, even though approved, seems not to have worked. I didn't get the "standard" form because I had a popup blocker active. Perhaps you should warn about that.
I have read, understand, accept, and agree with the Terms Of Service, Acceptable Use Policy, and The Forum Rules:
YES, I Agree!

Thank You,
docduke

Application for free web hosting generated using req_form.php 3.1.9 by vujsa.
Saturday, January 12, 2008 02:45:16 AM GMT

#6 OpaQue

OpaQue

Administrator

• Admin
  • 528 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:48 AM

I have approved your application docduke. Sorry for the delay. The timezone differences is adding to the lag in processing your request :-(

I hope you like our hosting :-)

Have a great day ahead and Happy Hosting ^_^

-Shree

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users