What does this mean for people who want a webserver but have a dynamic ip? Well, lets see:- it means that people who want to visit your website (including you) will never know which ip address to visit without checking first
- it means that domain redirection services will not work
- overall it means that you have a server which is extremely difficult to access
My solution involves using a program to update a remote server with your IP every time it changes. People who wish to visit your server would do so through the remote server.
For those of you who aren't internet savvy think of it this way: Imagine a city is the world wide web. Each home represents a separate computer and thus, a separate ip address. Mailing a house (visiting the server) would be quite easy; after all you just need their address. However, this particular city has a large amount of mobile homes/rv's which are constantly moving from one site to another (representing changing or dynamic addresses). Mailing a friend who lives in a mobile home would be a problem because it would be hard to tell where they are at any given moment. However, my solution works sort of like a P.O. box. The box represents a permanent building which redirects your "mail" to the appropriate mobile home. This allows you to "mail" them wherever they may be.
If you are not sure if you have a dynamic ip, ask your ISP or visit http://www.whatismyip.com and periodically between network resets. If you have a changing ip address, you have a dynamic ip.
So what is this so-called solution I have? To tell you the truth, it's quite simple really. Lets begin:
- Make sure you have a working webserver on your computer
- Visit http://www.no-ip.com/ and sign-up for a free account
- Once you have gone through the email confirmation process and logged in, click on the downloads tab. Download the appropriate version of No-IP.
- Click on the first "Your NO-IP" tab and click the "Add" link underneath the "Hosts/Redirects" heading.
- Setup the configuration for your redirection host. The domain you create here will be the new address to your website.
- Install the No-IP program you downloaded and login using the account you created.
- Allow approximately 5-10 mins for an update and then your website is ready to go. It can be accessed from the domain you specified on the site.