Welcome to AstaHost - Dear Guest , Please Register here to get Your own website. - Ask a Question / Express Opinion / Reply w/o Sign-Up!

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  yordan : (14 April 2014 - 05:28 PM) By The Way, This Could Be An Interesting Subject For A Topic, What About Posting This Question? Let's See If Other People Have The Same Feeling Concerning Bootlists!
@  yordan : (13 April 2014 - 09:36 AM) Boot Order : Cd, [Usb,] Hard Drive :D
@  yordan : (11 April 2014 - 07:23 PM) I Simply Let The Bios Do That
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:23 AM) Is It Possible To Launch Fedora Live Cd Or Installation Disk From Hard Drive On Windows Platform Using Grub Mbr File.
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:21 AM) No U Are Not.. Btw.. I Have Question For You.
@  yordan : (10 April 2014 - 08:02 AM) You Are Partially Right.
I Was Not.
Nevertheless, I Am Again :)
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) :P
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) I Think U R Not..
@  yordan : (09 April 2014 - 09:28 AM) I'm The Master Of The Shoutbox!
@  yordan : (05 April 2014 - 10:32 PM) He-He
@  Ritesh : (04 April 2014 - 06:59 PM) Ha Ha Ha ....
@  yordan : (04 April 2014 - 11:15 AM) Welcome Back, Starscream!
@  yordan : (03 April 2014 - 02:31 PM) And I Hope That He Will Come Back Soon :)
@  yordan : (01 April 2014 - 02:53 PM) Nice, Ritesh Came, I'm Not Home Alone Today.
@  Ritesh : (01 April 2014 - 08:51 AM) Oh!!! Poor Dear Yordan..
@  yordan : (31 March 2014 - 10:02 AM) I'm A Poor Lonesome Cow-Boy
@  yordan : (27 March 2014 - 02:22 PM) He Is Unpatient Due To His Patients!
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) :(
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) He Is Busy With His Patients.
@  yordan : (26 March 2014 - 08:12 PM) Ahsani, Where Are You?

Photo
- - - - -

Visual Studio Reports - Parameter Passing

2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeigh

Jeigh

Whitest Black Mage

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • Interests:My interests are my hobbies, and ironically enough my hobbies are my interests. I'm quite interested in my hobbies, much more so then my interests... but I spend more time with my interests as my hobbies are often rude with me so I don't enjoy talking to them as much.
  • myCENTs:93.97

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:09 PM

Hello everyone, I've recently started work on a project involving moving database reports from a less then reliable reporting suite to using MS Visual Studio reporting tools. Now this is all well and good and the actual database interaction I don't really have any issues with but I am less then familiar with the reporting tools in Visual Studio and seem to have run into a bit of a snag.

The old reports are used by various users that don't want to have to dig into a file and put the desired query parameters into the raw SQL queries which makes sense since that is the whole point. However the only way I have been able to add user input parameters to my MS SQL reports has, while technically they 'work', resulted in a drastic increase in the time it takes to perform the required action.

Basically, if I hard code a parameter into the query it takes about a second, but if I "filter" the results using the parameter it has to return basically the entire table then grab the preferred portion... which results in increasing to 40-60 seconds depending on the report and the criteria/tables joined. So basically I'm wondering if any of you know of a way to directly use the parameters in the query itself. Basically like place a variable in the query so once you input the parameters I can use something along the lines of

where Table.Entry = Parameters!Param1.Value

Unfortunately that itself seems to just crap out when ran.

Anyways, if any of you have used the VS reporting tools or know of what I'm missing (I assume its simple and I'm just over looking something basic since I haven't used these tools much) I'd be appreciative. Thanks.

#2 faulty.lee

faulty.lee

• [HOSTED]
  • 500 posts
  • Interests:Electronics, Software Programming, Embedded Programming, Movies, Windows Shopping
  • myCENTs:79.88

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:38 PM

I'm not that familiar with reporting. But i think you need to give more detail so others can help you better. For example, which version of Visual Studio are you using, which reporting tools are you using (normally i would assume it's crystal report) and which version is it.

Also how you access your report? Is it access through another application which you or your company wrote, or a third party application? Or via other method which i'm not know of.

#3 Jeigh

Jeigh

Whitest Black Mage

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • Interests:My interests are my hobbies, and ironically enough my hobbies are my interests. I'm quite interested in my hobbies, much more so then my interests... but I spend more time with my interests as my hobbies are often rude with me so I don't enjoy talking to them as much.
  • myCENTs:93.97

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:11 PM

Ah right. Yea I have very, veeeery little familiarity with this stuff so far, like I've seen reporting tools used but never bothered looking at them before. It's Visual Studio 2005 and I'm using whatever the default reporting package is when you create a "Report Server Project" and it will be accessed through a web interface as it'll reside on an internal server I believe.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users