Welcome to AstaHost - Dear Guest , Please Register here to get Your own website. - Ask a Question / Express Opinion / Reply w/o Sign-Up!

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  yordan : (21 April 2014 - 09:11 PM) Hey, Ritesh, Did You Hear Me?
@  yordan : (14 April 2014 - 05:28 PM) By The Way, This Could Be An Interesting Subject For A Topic, What About Posting This Question? Let's See If Other People Have The Same Feeling Concerning Bootlists!
@  yordan : (13 April 2014 - 09:36 AM) Boot Order : Cd, [Usb,] Hard Drive :D
@  yordan : (11 April 2014 - 07:23 PM) I Simply Let The Bios Do That
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:23 AM) Is It Possible To Launch Fedora Live Cd Or Installation Disk From Hard Drive On Windows Platform Using Grub Mbr File.
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:21 AM) No U Are Not.. Btw.. I Have Question For You.
@  yordan : (10 April 2014 - 08:02 AM) You Are Partially Right.
I Was Not.
Nevertheless, I Am Again :)
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) :P
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) I Think U R Not..
@  yordan : (09 April 2014 - 09:28 AM) I'm The Master Of The Shoutbox!
@  yordan : (05 April 2014 - 10:32 PM) He-He
@  Ritesh : (04 April 2014 - 06:59 PM) Ha Ha Ha ....
@  yordan : (04 April 2014 - 11:15 AM) Welcome Back, Starscream!
@  yordan : (03 April 2014 - 02:31 PM) And I Hope That He Will Come Back Soon :)
@  yordan : (01 April 2014 - 02:53 PM) Nice, Ritesh Came, I'm Not Home Alone Today.
@  Ritesh : (01 April 2014 - 08:51 AM) Oh!!! Poor Dear Yordan..
@  yordan : (31 March 2014 - 10:02 AM) I'm A Poor Lonesome Cow-Boy
@  yordan : (27 March 2014 - 02:22 PM) He Is Unpatient Due To His Patients!
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) :(
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) He Is Busy With His Patients.

Photo
- - - - -

True Type Fonts In Linux Installation/configuration required?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Vyoma

Vyoma

Cosmic Overlord

• Members
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, RPG, Guitar, Bikes (riding, specifically riding bullet), Sketching, Painting
  • myCENTs:45.66

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:20 AM

As I mentioned in the other thread, I installed Ubuntu last night, and I am quite happy with the result. And again, as I said there, the font rendering is something that give room for wanting something better.

The question is, can we use TrueType fonts with Linux, and specifically Ubuntu? Is it as simple as copying the font files (.ttf) into a particular directory? Or do we need to install or configure something?

If it is simple as copying the required fonts to a particular folder/directory, which directory should they be copied to?

Edit: The fonts in Linux seems to be a gripe for some others too:
http://jeremy.zawodn...ves/000773.html
http://times.usefuli...006/01/16-fonts

Edited by Vyoma, 28 February 2007 - 06:44 AM.

#2 foolakadugie

foolakadugie

Premium Member

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:48 AM

As I mentioned in the other thread, I installed Ubuntu last night, and I am quite happy with the result. And again, as I said there, the font rendering is something that give room for wanting something better.

The question is, can we use TrueType fonts with Linux, and specifically Ubuntu? Is it as simple as copying the font files (.ttf) into a particular directory? Or do we need to install or configure something?

If it is simple as copying the required fonts to a particular folder/directory, which directory should they be copied to?

Edit: The fonts in Linux seems to be a gripe for some others too:
http://jeremy.zawodn...ves/000773.html
http://times.usefuli...006/01/16-fonts

Well I use Kubuntu (KDE version of Ubuntu) and all that I need to do is go to the system settings and somwhere in there you can install new fonts. I don't know if the Gnome version is set up in a similar way though. The Kubuntu distro seems to support Truetype and even Opentype!

#3 xboxrulz

xboxrulz

Colonel Panic

• Members
  • 3,057 posts
  • myCENTs:59.15

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:15 PM

It's very simple, just drag and drop them in /usr/X11R6/. There should be a fonts folder in there, then log out and log back in.

It's a lot easier on KDE btw.

xboxrulz

#4 Guest_mastercomputers_*

Guest_mastercomputers_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:09 AM

Actually, in your User Directory is a hidden location called .fonts, just drop them in there and restart the computer (easier for people unless you know which service to restart).

I think you can also access this location just typing fonts: or fonts:// in your address bar of your explorer window and it'd open up the fonts directory location and you can copy and paste directly into it.

I'm not on Linux at the moment, to verify this, but I believe this was near enough to how I did it.

Cheers,

MC

#5 xboxrulz

xboxrulz

Colonel Panic

• Members
  • 3,057 posts
  • myCENTs:59.15

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:28 PM

fonts:/ only works on KDE and not GNOME.

True, you can use the .fonts folder, but restart is not required, simply log out and log back in.

Also, there's no service to restart. Fonts are handled by the kernel itself.

xboxrulz

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users