Welcome to AstaHost - Dear Guest , Please Register here to get Your own website. - Ask a Question / Express Opinion / Reply w/o Sign-Up!

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  yordan : (14 April 2014 - 05:28 PM) By The Way, This Could Be An Interesting Subject For A Topic, What About Posting This Question? Let's See If Other People Have The Same Feeling Concerning Bootlists!
@  yordan : (13 April 2014 - 09:36 AM) Boot Order : Cd, [Usb,] Hard Drive :D
@  yordan : (11 April 2014 - 07:23 PM) I Simply Let The Bios Do That
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:23 AM) Is It Possible To Launch Fedora Live Cd Or Installation Disk From Hard Drive On Windows Platform Using Grub Mbr File.
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:21 AM) No U Are Not.. Btw.. I Have Question For You.
@  yordan : (10 April 2014 - 08:02 AM) You Are Partially Right.
I Was Not.
Nevertheless, I Am Again :)
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) :P
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) I Think U R Not..
@  yordan : (09 April 2014 - 09:28 AM) I'm The Master Of The Shoutbox!
@  yordan : (05 April 2014 - 10:32 PM) He-He
@  Ritesh : (04 April 2014 - 06:59 PM) Ha Ha Ha ....
@  yordan : (04 April 2014 - 11:15 AM) Welcome Back, Starscream!
@  yordan : (03 April 2014 - 02:31 PM) And I Hope That He Will Come Back Soon :)
@  yordan : (01 April 2014 - 02:53 PM) Nice, Ritesh Came, I'm Not Home Alone Today.
@  Ritesh : (01 April 2014 - 08:51 AM) Oh!!! Poor Dear Yordan..
@  yordan : (31 March 2014 - 10:02 AM) I'm A Poor Lonesome Cow-Boy
@  yordan : (27 March 2014 - 02:22 PM) He Is Unpatient Due To His Patients!
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) :(
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) He Is Busy With His Patients.
@  yordan : (26 March 2014 - 08:12 PM) Ahsani, Where Are You?

Photo
- - - - -

Linux "hangs" On Boot

9 replies to this topic

#1 dhanesh

dhanesh

Binary Geek

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • myCENTs:42.19

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:20 PM

A real quick post. I just though of installing the new version of the openSUSE distro 10.2. The installation goes fine and after the reboot it just hangs (no HDD activity). I keep the power on button pressed for a force shutdown and restart the Laptop with the same option and it starts the desktop and i can work on openSUSE 10.2. I go home and start my laptop up and it hangs again, and this time 3 force shut downs and restarts didnt help either.

The last time i shut down the Laptop, i sisnt choose to save my configurations, so that rules out an option of me screwing up with the system config and then shuttingdown. When i installed the 10.1 version of this distro, it works :) I restart it and it works. No hanging etc.

I thought it might be a conflict with a hardware component in my laptop, so i hit "esc" while bootup and everytime it stops, it stops at different places of command line. i dont know if i explained this well, but it wont stop at a specific disk mount or a hardware test or driver load. Its a random stop anywhere lol.

Now i am just d'loading Ubuntu 6.10 from their site. Tho i have to admit i feel a little surprised that the installation media for SuSE is 3.6GB and for Ubuntu its 698MB. Is Ubuntu as loaded as suse ? and does the installation have the option for GNOME or KDE. Cause ME luv GNOME :)

Will install and see how this distro impresses me ..

Regards
Dhanesh.

#2 xboxrulz

xboxrulz

Colonel Panic

• Members
  • 3,057 posts
  • myCENTs:59.15

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:50 PM

What type of laptop do you have because some laptops have hardware problem with Linux.

xboxrulz

#3 dhanesh

dhanesh

Binary Geek

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:20 AM

What type of laptop do you have because some laptops have hardware problem with Linux.

xboxrulz

Yikes, i forgot to mention the most important thing lol. I am installing OpenSuSE 10.2 on my laptop.

Compaq Presario V5233EA , 100GB HDD, 1GB RAM , F: - 15GB (Where linux will be installed)
4 Partitions: C: - Windows , D: - NTFS , E: - NTFS , F: - Unpartitioned (left for Linux to partition while installing)
Windows is installed already so i am trying to install Linux on top of windows. Very bad combo i know, but just for the sake of playing around and learning the components of linux so i can completly shift to the distro i like.

I was d'loadin Ubuntu linux 6.10 so its done now and will start installing, lets see how that would run. But since i started my linux confrontation with SuSE i am guessing the installation would be pretty much the same here too.

Regards
Dhanesh.

#4 dhanesh

dhanesh

Binary Geek

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:17 AM

Ok, well i started my ubuntu installation, and after the boot screen and these lines, it just hangs :) now i am shure its something to do with my hardware, but then again OpenSuSE 10.1 works just fine on my laptop with no problems at all. This is what comes:

* Activating swap... [ok]
mount: Function not implemented
* Checking file systems...
fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006) [ok]

[17179699.040000] BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0!

Where [17179699.040000] this number keeps changing after every re-boot. I disabled the WLAN in my bios but keeps hanging here only.

I checked out google and this is what i could find, but i couldent understand much. Could someone please explain this to me in simple words ? i believe there is no solution for this yet. >>LINK<<

Regards
Dhanesh.

#5 dhanesh

dhanesh

Binary Geek

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:13 AM

Update: I ordered a 5.04 version of the ubuntu CD long ago, used that to start installation. Started fine installation also started fine, when it comes to Partition setup, it says it cant find a partition for installation. :)

I normally delete and leave the F: drive unpartitioned, and suse used to take that and install from there on. Freespire and ubuntu were 2 distros that didnt auto detect the unpartitioned space. This is driving me nuts now. I think i better stick to Suse 10.1 for now as it seems to be stable.

Does anyone have a site that shows updated information of what systems run smooth on what distros or what distros a system can support ? I know this site called linux on laptops >>LINK<< .. but the info there is old as in Last updated: December 24, 2006. And my laptop Compaq Presario V5233EA isnt there anywhere. not even the CP V5000 series. Please post up any updates.

Regards
Dhanesh.

#6 dhanesh

dhanesh

Binary Geek

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

Quiet sometime now and m still stuck with the suse installation problem.I am on suselinuxsupport.de but i am guessing that unless you see the problem for your self, it wont be resolved. I was given the option to try out another distro so leme see if that works too.

I tried a reinstall again after downloading a 10.2 iso again. same errors and same hang sequence ..

i took pictures of few of the errors that show up and stay like that for hours with no change. i cant figure out what this means but probably some of you could ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I installed fedora core 6 but thats a pretty weird problem all in itself lol. I think its the SATA creating problems. Anyone know a way of how i can get to know my laptop mobo make and number and would there be drivers for it ? or how do i know what SATA drive model/serial no i have so finding a driver for linux would be eazy. Just a crazy though.

Regards
Dhanesh.

#7 xboxrulz

xboxrulz

Colonel Panic

• Members
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:55 PM

ya, apparently the SATA controller may be causing problems.

Have you tried the brokendriver boot option?

xboxrulz

#8 issdiscovery04

issdiscovery04

Member [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:52 AM

I myself have had that problem before. Usually, I have just shut down my system and restarted. Of course, hardware does play a role in causing this problem. SATA is probably the WORST for linux. For all types of Linux, SCSI, IDE, or EIDE is preferred. Sometimes chipsets can cause problems too.

#9 vhortex

vhortex

Guilty Until Proven Innocent

• Members
  • 513 posts
  • myCENTs:32.25

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:03 AM

fedora core is a beast and it beats the hell out of me.. on core 5.. it takes me 7 1/2 days to replace/upgrade a library since fedora wants me to update a single file ot two with a single file or two dependent modules which i need to upgrade also..

it also have a peculiar higher level of user access controls that can literally block the root account for sometime. got locked out this way and wait for a certain period to let me in again..

it also can render you invisible in the network and you can snoop other computers without a trace..
[i love this one far than the other phenomenon i got]

#10 xboxrulz

xboxrulz

Colonel Panic

• Members
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:35 PM

best to ask the folks at SuSE Forums, they most likely would have a good answer to your problem:
http://www.suseforums.net

xboxrulz

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users