Welcome to AstaHost - Dear Guest , Please Register here to get Your own website. - Ask a Question / Express Opinion / Reply w/o Sign-Up!

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  yordan : (21 April 2014 - 09:11 PM) Hey, Ritesh, Did You Hear Me?
@  yordan : (14 April 2014 - 05:28 PM) By The Way, This Could Be An Interesting Subject For A Topic, What About Posting This Question? Let's See If Other People Have The Same Feeling Concerning Bootlists!
@  yordan : (13 April 2014 - 09:36 AM) Boot Order : Cd, [Usb,] Hard Drive :D
@  yordan : (11 April 2014 - 07:23 PM) I Simply Let The Bios Do That
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:23 AM) Is It Possible To Launch Fedora Live Cd Or Installation Disk From Hard Drive On Windows Platform Using Grub Mbr File.
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:21 AM) No U Are Not.. Btw.. I Have Question For You.
@  yordan : (10 April 2014 - 08:02 AM) You Are Partially Right.
I Was Not.
Nevertheless, I Am Again :)
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) :P
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) I Think U R Not..
@  yordan : (09 April 2014 - 09:28 AM) I'm The Master Of The Shoutbox!
@  yordan : (05 April 2014 - 10:32 PM) He-He
@  Ritesh : (04 April 2014 - 06:59 PM) Ha Ha Ha ....
@  yordan : (04 April 2014 - 11:15 AM) Welcome Back, Starscream!
@  yordan : (03 April 2014 - 02:31 PM) And I Hope That He Will Come Back Soon :)
@  yordan : (01 April 2014 - 02:53 PM) Nice, Ritesh Came, I'm Not Home Alone Today.
@  Ritesh : (01 April 2014 - 08:51 AM) Oh!!! Poor Dear Yordan..
@  yordan : (31 March 2014 - 10:02 AM) I'm A Poor Lonesome Cow-Boy
@  yordan : (27 March 2014 - 02:22 PM) He Is Unpatient Due To His Patients!
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) :(
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) He Is Busy With His Patients.

Photo
- - - - -

Best Distro? What is it?

55 replies to this topic

Poll: What's the best Distro? (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Best Distro?

1. SUSE (4 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

2. Mandriva (1 votes [2.17%])

Percentage of vote: 2.17%

3. RedHat/Fedora (7 votes [15.22%])

Percentage of vote: 15.22%

4. Debian-based (20 votes [43.48%])

Percentage of vote: 43.48%

5. Slackware (3 votes [6.52%])

Percentage of vote: 6.52%

6. Ooh, BSD!! (1 votes [2.17%])

Percentage of vote: 2.17%

7. I'm a sucker I use winblows (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Voted I am a mac person (2 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

9. Voted Other (8 votes [17.39%])

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Jewbacca

Jewbacca

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:26 PM

The only Linux distro I've personally tried using is Ubuntu and, quite frankly, I have no need to try out any others. It detected all my hardware (including my printer) without having to download additional drivers and it does everything I want it to. Some things can be a pain but being virus and anti-virus free more than makes up for those little snags.

#22 briealeida

briealeida

Newbie [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:54 PM

This totally depends on your personal preferences and skill level. It's like wine, drink what you like.

I'm a slacker for serious stuff, use *buntu on my desktop and one of my laptops. Didn't give OpenSUSE enough of a chance and rolled my own BSD and LOVED them all.

#23 patrush

patrush

Newbie [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:18 AM

I'm primarily used fedora core 6 in my personal computer...
But I'm using bactrack 2 final live cd whenever I used other computer...
and I got Ubuntu on my notebook...

#24 dae

dae

Newbie [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:56 AM

So, what does everyone reckon the best distro is? I reckon Mandriva, because it's easy and English. But SUSE has more stuff!! What do you think everyone?

mandriva can be installed in 15 min with everything u need and settin up network... its more easy than windows with mindblowing FX(Beryl, etc) that Vista can dream of...
i am workin with linux cca 7 years but this distro is most easy to install/maintain...

#25 develCuy

develCuy

Member - Active Contributor

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:God, Music(anything that isn't noise), Development, Web, Linux

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:57 PM

"I reckon..." Debian(pure) because:
- is solid like a rock
- is stable
- its "3 levels of game": stable, testing, sid
- apt is the only think you have to know to start rocking on!!!
- if apt isn't enough, play with aptitude
- great community
- etc, etc

Blessings!!

#26 WaLhEZ

WaLhEZ

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:55 PM

I believe that best distro is fedora Core although also ubuntu does not remain of side that has excelled years in the last, debian by nature one of the best ones and betting by the new thing would say that arch, but as single a vote is allowed, then it will vote by Fedora

#27 jbitkill

jbitkill

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:13 PM

I'm currently running Ubuntu and I've been very happy with it. And for people who want to brand Ubuntu as n00b Linux, I'd like to say that there are many of us IT pros who just like the simplicity.

Previously I've used Red Hat, Mandrake and Debian and I don't really have bad things to say about any of them.

Hi, I've used lots of Linux OS'es in my computers. The best one I had is Ubuntu, fare play but it runs on beans with KDE (433MHz P3, 128RAM). With Ubuntu, it is easy to use and got lots of good games (because of Debian). If you're new or old to Linux, use Ubuntu.

Note: the version 7.10 of ubuntu is on their site

xxxx-Jozh-xxxx

#28 ChrisAF07

ChrisAF07

Member [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:41 AM

I think BSD is definitely faster, more stable, and generally better than Linux but there are some things that I think still make Linux more practical for the desktop and that is why I use it on mine.

Edited by ChrisAF07, 01 November 2007 - 10:42 AM.

#29 Blaise

Blaise

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:50 PM

Gentoo for my desktop, because I like the flexibility it offers, and somehow I never liked the package manager of other distros.

For servers, especially web servers I prefer using FreeBSD. It's more stable, faster and I also find it's package manager to be better than those of linux distros.

#30 mHelmy

mHelmy

Member [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:24 PM

I'll stick on slackware. I install linux mostly because I need to experiment with it or focus on its facilities/capabilities. And I rarely need its GUI features.

I know that installation of slackware maybe a bit difficult, but I do love it, I can choose to see every process of the installation or just make it automatically (and drink a glass of coffee B) ).

My favourite installation method is umsdos method (using zipslack). And by the way, it doesn't need big ram to have slackware on my machine.

And... why no one votes for "I'm a sucker I use winblows" ? I want to vote for that option too because I also use microsoft products, but it's impossible to vote twice :rolleyes:

#31 yordan

yordan

Way Out Of Control - You need a life :)

• [MODERATOR]
  • 4,745 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:26 PM

And... why no one votes for "I'm a sucker I use winblows" ? I want to vote for that option too because I also use microsoft products, but it's impossible to vote twice :rolleyes:

I think that WinBlows is included in the "Other" option. So, because of the score of this "other" option, I think that there is no need to split the "other" option into sub-options like "WinBose", "AIX", Sun-OS and HP-UX.

#32 xboxrulz

xboxrulz

Colonel Panic

• Members
  • 3,057 posts
  • myCENTs:59.15

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:11 PM

I think that WinBlows is included in the "Other" option. So, because of the score of this "other" option, I think that there is no need to split the "other" option into sub-options like "WinBose", "AIX", Sun-OS and HP-UX.

It doesn't really matter, but ya, Windows (Windoze, Winblows) is not a UNIX OS, nor is it a Linux distro, but it's a poll to see what you use.

xboxrulz

#33 Tragnon

Tragnon

Newbie [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:33 PM

I have to say, I started with Mandrake, a couple versions of RedHat, but the recent release of Ubuntu is much easier of an install then any previous installation I have done. The added ability of the system to maintain it's software, through Synaptic Package Manager makes program installation a breeze. So far, I have installed several packages (I was setting up a Joomla testbed to work on some things for a site I manage) and several of the things required dependencies to be fulfilled. (5 packages to install, required 19 in all).

I think with the ability to download the ISO and burn it to CD and have a single disk install process is finally taking Linux to a user friendly place.

#34 air

air

Newbie [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:29 PM

I am a Windows user, but I'm switching to Red Hat Enterprise Linux thanks to a friend that is teaching me how to administrate that system.

Also, I consider to install CentOS5 in my PC, because is binary compatible with RHEL. :rolleyes:

#35 mikesoft

mikesoft

• [HOSTED]
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:50 AM

I've been a windows user for a long time. Recently I switched to linux (ubuntu 7.10) and I must say I'm impressed. I have it installed on my laptop working as a web server (LAMP) though I must say I didn't know anything about linux and ubuntu makes it easy for you, I had to research a lot over the net to be able to do all the stuff I wanted to do, like, to open a root window without switching to root account and stuff like that.

It's been working well for over a week.

On my laptop I have a windows/ubuntu dual boot, because I still use lots of games for windows, though some of them run with wine on ubuntu, but some of them don't.

For any who is tempted to switch, DO EET! its easy, I suggest ubuntu, as it is amazing linux distribution, its better than vista, believe it or not.

#36 maxoroberts

maxoroberts

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:52 AM

So, what does everyone reckon the best distro is? I reckon Mandriva, because it's easy and English. But SUSE has more stuff!! What do you think everyone?

Now thats a broad question. I am a CNA [computer network administrator] and as such I really dont use unix based os on my desktop systems, I use them as servers. Now depending on the type of server you are looking to build, this informs your choice of distro. For a gateway server with security features such as time based internet access, bandwidth control, and ip-based internet access on a network having say less than a hundred users I would use Ubuntu without the gui ofcourse.

For a vnc server to provide remote desktops for about a hundred thinclients ina digital center, i would use Fedora Core 3 this time with the gui in place.

For a file server/database server where I would want to implement raid say 5 for instance, I would use Mandriva linux. and so on. The peculiar scenario ultimately determinse which distro is deployed.

For a desktop system however, I would choose Freespire/Linspire anyday.

Best Regards

#37 Sten

Sten

Oh come on Mrs. B!

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:03 AM

can i just say something?

one answer i can give u to this question is this, not centos! its meant to be professional isnt it? i hate it! maybe for a server but no one could seriously want to use it just for their computer. its disgusting. and every version seems to get worse. do they downgrade their version of kde and gnome in each version? it still looks like fedora 1.

#38 pyost

pyost

Way Out Of Control - You need a life :)

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • myCENTs:67.69

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:35 AM

I've been a windows user for a long time. Recently I switched to linux (ubuntu 7.10) and I must say I'm impressed. I have it installed on my laptop working as a web server (LAMP) though I must say I didn't know anything about linux and ubuntu makes it easy for you, I had to research a lot over the net to be able to do all the stuff I wanted to do, like, to open a root window without switching to root account and stuff like that.

It's been working well for over a week.

On my laptop I have a windows/ubuntu dual boot, because I still use lots of games for windows, though some of them run with wine on ubuntu, but some of them don't.

For any who is tempted to switch, DO EET! its easy, I suggest ubuntu, as it is amazing linux distribution, its better than vista, believe it or not.

Exactly the same goes for me - except I installed it on a desktop machine, not a laptop one. So far, so good. Makes web development and site administration (i.e. through SSH) easier and faster than in Windows.

#39 dewslat

dewslat

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Computer, Internet, Vector Graphics

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

this is not likely to be an issue on whats what and whos who... everyone has their own preferred distro. thats why there are hell of a bunch of them. with all the features and issues with it.. i have been in so many distro and a regular visitor of www.distrowatch.com and i love the way every distro compete. about 8 years ago when the linux scene became to increase the number of users, i also eager to join except that i dont have broadband before and access to it would really be time and money consuming. but for those linux geeks out there, here is my best choices of distro for different uses.

High End System - 3Ghz Processor, 2Gig Ram, 512Mb Video
Sabayon - With its fully functional 3D graphics out of the box!

Mid Range System 2Ghs Processor, 512 Ram, 128Mb Video
Ubunto - Very Easy Interface with easy to update and install programs and becoming industry standard(never mind about the criticisms from the geeky linux PROS)

Low End System - Basically what you can get from the garbage can which I have a lot of them
Zenwalk - So damn easy to use and install that has everything a standard PC OS should have. Really fast and no crap linux under 500mb! Great people and support! A++ even for newbies

#40 Miles

Miles

Advanced Member

• [HOSTED]
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:36 PM

I'd say have to say fedora core, it's a good mid-range distro and is neither too hard nor too easy, and althought I found setting up NDISwrapper hard (my wireless network card isn't directly supported), it's still a good distro. I dual-boot it with windows XP.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users