Welcome to AstaHost - Dear Guest , Please Register here to get Your own website. - Ask a Question / Express Opinion / Reply w/o Sign-Up!

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  yordan : (14 April 2014 - 05:28 PM) By The Way, This Could Be An Interesting Subject For A Topic, What About Posting This Question? Let's See If Other People Have The Same Feeling Concerning Bootlists!
@  yordan : (13 April 2014 - 09:36 AM) Boot Order : Cd, [Usb,] Hard Drive :D
@  yordan : (11 April 2014 - 07:23 PM) I Simply Let The Bios Do That
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:23 AM) Is It Possible To Launch Fedora Live Cd Or Installation Disk From Hard Drive On Windows Platform Using Grub Mbr File.
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:21 AM) No U Are Not.. Btw.. I Have Question For You.
@  yordan : (10 April 2014 - 08:02 AM) You Are Partially Right.
I Was Not.
Nevertheless, I Am Again :)
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) :P
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) I Think U R Not..
@  yordan : (09 April 2014 - 09:28 AM) I'm The Master Of The Shoutbox!
@  yordan : (05 April 2014 - 10:32 PM) He-He
@  Ritesh : (04 April 2014 - 06:59 PM) Ha Ha Ha ....
@  yordan : (04 April 2014 - 11:15 AM) Welcome Back, Starscream!
@  yordan : (03 April 2014 - 02:31 PM) And I Hope That He Will Come Back Soon :)
@  yordan : (01 April 2014 - 02:53 PM) Nice, Ritesh Came, I'm Not Home Alone Today.
@  Ritesh : (01 April 2014 - 08:51 AM) Oh!!! Poor Dear Yordan..
@  yordan : (31 March 2014 - 10:02 AM) I'm A Poor Lonesome Cow-Boy
@  yordan : (27 March 2014 - 02:22 PM) He Is Unpatient Due To His Patients!
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) :(
@  Ritesh : (27 March 2014 - 10:46 AM) He Is Busy With His Patients.
@  yordan : (26 March 2014 - 08:12 PM) Ahsani, Where Are You?

Photo
- - - - -

Help, My Laptop Charger Is Not Working Properly

71 replies to this topic

#1 torres1287

torres1287

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:34 PM

I have a HP Pavilion laptop. I bought it about 2-3 years ago. I try to plug in the charger end to my laptop and it does not start charging. I can take the back off of it, plug the charger in, and it works fine. I think that something is pushing back (in the laptop) and causing the connections not to touch. I would fix it myself, but I would have to take a lot of my laptop apart just to fix it. I do not feel comfortable doing that myself.

My questions are:

What is your suggestion to fix this?
Has anyone else experienced this problem?
If I took it to someone, how long do you think it would take for them to fix it (given that I am right)?
If I took it to someone, how much money do you think I would have to pay?

Thanks for all your help!

Have a great day everyone!

#2 xboxrulz

xboxrulz

Colonel Panic

• Members
  • 3,057 posts
  • myCENTs:59.15

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:07 AM

I think u should just send it back to HP, which is the safest choice.

xboxrulz

#3 foolakadugie

foolakadugie

Premium Member

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:20 AM

I think u should just send it back to HP, which is the safest choice.

xboxrulz

I agree. Opening up the commputer and taking things apart might void your waranty also.

#4 ahender

ahender

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:56 AM

I bought it about 2-3 years ago

If hp did take it back im pretty sure they would charge alot.

Edited by ahender, 26 October 2006 - 12:57 AM.

#5 torres1287

torres1287

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:28 PM

I am in college and I use my laptop every single hour of the day (except those oh so few hours of sleep).

I might call HP and ask them how long they think it would take to fix it. If it would take a couple of days, then I would send it over the upcoming Thanksgiving break. If it took longer than that, I would have to wait until Christmas. >_<

I know I would get charged a lot because there was only a one year warranty. :P That creates a problem because college sucked up all my money. (LOL)

If there's any more suggestions/comments/etc at all, send them my way. :P Thanks for all your help!

Have a great day everyone!

#6 Guest_jlhaslip_*

Guest_jlhaslip_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:28 PM

It may not be the physical plug-in which is the problem.
On my laptop, it seems that the cord end near the computer gets 'comfortable' in one position and the cord develops a 'curve' in it and sometimes doesn't charge, so I am suspicious of a there being a short or 'lack of continuity' in the cord itself, maybe?
I regularly re-shape that end and try to not let the 'curve' develop and it seems to allow the connection to be more consistent and then I have less trouble.
Nothing worse than anticipating a full battery only to have the power monitor yapping at you.
Most 'techie' types should be able to help you diagnose this problem with a voltage tester or some other gizmo they enjoy playing with. A new charger can't be all that much if it is required.
As I remember my College days, it should be worth around 2 or 3 nights in a Club, only.

#7 torres1287

torres1287

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:06 PM

There are two parts to my charger.

1- Plug to charger box
2- Charger box to computer

I guess the box is a power converter or something of some type. I am getting power to the box and the charger end that plugs into the laptop.

I have no clue how much it costs to go clubbing. (LOL) I live a sheltered life. :-)

#8 DrK3055A

DrK3055A

Member [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:16 AM

Any Switching Mode Power Supply where from you can obtain 18.5Volts and at least 4-6Amps will do the task. These are the common parameters for Laptop Power Supplies.

Many SMPS supplies need some load attached at output when starting up, otherwise they won't boot at all. Some SMPS show this behaviour while they're aging, because parameters of some electronic components (such as capacitors) vary slightly over the time. Two options, try to identify the iffy component and do some surgeon for replacement, or a much better opt, get a new SMPS as they are not as expensive.

#9 Guest_FeedBacker_*

Guest_FeedBacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:06 PM

Did you manage to solve the problem?

I am having a similar problem and am convinced that it is a mechanical problem - the power jack is not connecting properly to the machine. If I fiddle around every now and then I get a connection but it isn't reliable and the actual socket connector that plugs into the laptop gets very hot (surely this is not safe?). Anyone know what this might be or how to fix it? has it ever happened to anyone else before. My laptop is a fugitsu seamens amelio, had it bout to and a half years now.

#10 Guest_FeedBacker_*

Guest_FeedBacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:16 AM

Replying to Feedbacker
Yes, I am having the same problem. L have an HP Pavilion and we have had it for 2 years. Also the power converter gets very hot. The connection might be loose.

#11 Guest_FeedBacker_*

Guest_FeedBacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:32 AM

Hi I got a sony vaio like 3 years ago now when I try to turn it on it wont turn on but if I plug the charger in and out it works but I have to keep the charger in all the time and it doesnt charge. My bro has a vaio asswell and we tryed his batery and charger and same thing happend. Is there a solution to this problem?, please help guys.

Kimo

-reply by kimo

#12 Guest_FeedBacker_*

Guest_FeedBacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:33 AM

dell laptop charger

Ok so I got this charger. I just go it on the web and just got it like 3 days ago and it worked fine.
Then I go to unplug the charger and move it and plug it into another plug and it doesnt work. But it was working fine.

Does any body have any sugegestions? or something?

-question by jordan

#13 Guest_iGuest-Colin_*

Guest_iGuest-Colin_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:26 AM

Replying to torres1287
Your model is prone to the Power Jack fault.
99% of the time this will be the case.
Have a look on my Diagnostics page.
Www.Powerjackrepair.Com to see if this is your problem.
If you live in UK I can do a very good repair for you and very cheap.
You also get a no quibble 6 Months warranty. The Sad thing is:
HP will insist on changing the Motherboard for a silly �4-8 part.
(Probably cost them a lot less) and they will charge you a lot.
So much so that it would be cheaper to buy a new Laptop all together.
Your replacement board would probably have the same flaw and you will have the same problem 3 months to a year or so down the line.
I don't recomend you open the laptop unless you know what you are doing. For this reason I created a general Repair DVD Video that shows the techniques and hints with tips how to organise screws and layers. You can find details at the web address above.

-reply by Colin

#14 Guest_iGuest-noone_*

Guest_iGuest-noone_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:13 AM

same thing for me

I have an HP pavilion dv8000 and when I plug in the charger, it doesnt charge. Sometimes when I keep replugging it in it will work for a short while but then it wont, I have no idea what the problem is =(

-reply by noone

#15 Guest_iGuest-kitkat_*

Guest_iGuest-kitkat_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:07 AM

help my acer7520 charger is not working

I've plugged in my charger, the light is on but the bit that connects itself frm the charger to the laptop seems to hvae something wrong with it. I've had it for nearly a year now and it's doing my head in, it's the second time now and I don't want to have to pay loads of money to get the charger fixed.

At the moment I'm trying to move that bit you plug into the laptop around it's working sort of but if I move my laptop again it will lose it's charging connection if you no what I mean,
Help please!!

-question by kitkat

#16 Running With Scissors

Running With Scissors

Advanced Member

• [HOSTED]
  • 116 posts
  • myCENTs:43.53

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:14 AM

I would see if HP would take it back. Mostly because they know whats what better than you because its there job. Secondly because it would void your warrenty like previously stated. If the power converter is getting very hot like you said it could be a fire hazzard and you should get it taken care of right away.

#17 wutske

wutske

Way Out Of Control - You need a life :)

• [HOSTED]
  • 1,443 posts
  • myCENTs:98.90

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:19 PM

Also worth trying is measuring the output voltage from the power supply. I once had a laptop that was claimed to be dead, it wouldn't stay powered on for more than 2-3 seconds. After measuring the PSU output voltage I wasn't surprised that I wouldn't work anymore, it was 8volt lower than it supposed to be, it was humming like an old trafo and even at 33% of the maximum possible load the output just fell to 0V (pay close attention to the LED, if it's strobing or almost out, there's something wrong with the PSU).

ps. don't try to fix it if you don't know what you're doing. You need some special equipment to measure the power-amps, the average voltmeter will short-circuit the PSU and the power stored in the capacitors is powerfull enough to blow off the tip of your probes!

#18 Soda

Soda

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:44 PM

The same problem happened to my mom's laptop which is about 4 years old. It's a HP Pavilion (I would add the rest of the model number but the computer itself is not in front of me so "/) and actually, I've stopped using it for about a year and a half now (ever since the last charger broke) but since then I've gotten a new charger and the light that says the computer is charging won't even turn on. Nevermind that, the computer itself hasn't even turned on for atleast a year and a half. Heh heh. :mellow:

#19 Guest_(G)brennan_*

Guest_(G)brennan_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:09 PM

broken chargerHelp, My Laptop Charger Is Not Working Properly

I got the same sorta proplem but with my hp compaq I think its a loose wire in the cable and I amgoing to buy a new charger and was wondering wil any 19v charger (same as my broken charger) work on my laptop 

-reply by brennan

#20 Guest_(G)stuart_*

Guest_(G)stuart_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

Laptop powre problemHelp, My Laptop Charger Is Not Working Properly

the laptop I am using is a Toshiba. It appears to run through a cycle of AC Power, Battery, Charging battery. It is quite an old Laptop but works fairly well appart from this problemand being a bit slow.

Is it just a charger problem or is there nore to it than that? Would buying a new charger help or will this not solve the problem. I'm not worried about the warrenty as that has long expired. What can I do to fix it?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users