Welcome to AstaHost - Dear Guest , Please Register here to get Your own website. - Ask a Question / Express Opinion / Reply w/o Sign-Up!

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  styleseye : (24 April 2014 - 02:29 PM) Https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Geh4Rs-Boh8&feature=Youtu.be&h=Taqexxpem
@  styleseye : (24 April 2014 - 02:28 PM) Https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Geh4Rs-Boh8&feature=Youtu.be&h=Taqexxpem
@  yordan : (21 April 2014 - 09:11 PM) Hey, Ritesh, Did You Hear Me?
@  yordan : (14 April 2014 - 05:28 PM) By The Way, This Could Be An Interesting Subject For A Topic, What About Posting This Question? Let's See If Other People Have The Same Feeling Concerning Bootlists!
@  yordan : (13 April 2014 - 09:36 AM) Boot Order : Cd, [Usb,] Hard Drive :D
@  yordan : (11 April 2014 - 07:23 PM) I Simply Let The Bios Do That
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:23 AM) Is It Possible To Launch Fedora Live Cd Or Installation Disk From Hard Drive On Windows Platform Using Grub Mbr File.
@  Ritesh : (11 April 2014 - 10:21 AM) No U Are Not.. Btw.. I Have Question For You.
@  yordan : (10 April 2014 - 08:02 AM) You Are Partially Right.
I Was Not.
Nevertheless, I Am Again :)
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) :P
@  Ritesh : (09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM) I Think U R Not..
@  yordan : (09 April 2014 - 09:28 AM) I'm The Master Of The Shoutbox!
@  yordan : (05 April 2014 - 10:32 PM) He-He
@  Ritesh : (04 April 2014 - 06:59 PM) Ha Ha Ha ....
@  yordan : (04 April 2014 - 11:15 AM) Welcome Back, Starscream!
@  yordan : (03 April 2014 - 02:31 PM) And I Hope That He Will Come Back Soon :)
@  yordan : (01 April 2014 - 02:53 PM) Nice, Ritesh Came, I'm Not Home Alone Today.
@  Ritesh : (01 April 2014 - 08:51 AM) Oh!!! Poor Dear Yordan..
@  yordan : (31 March 2014 - 10:02 AM) I'm A Poor Lonesome Cow-Boy
@  yordan : (27 March 2014 - 02:22 PM) He Is Unpatient Due To His Patients!

Photo
- - - - -

Prove To Me That Linux Is Better (For Gaming) For Gaming... :)

21 replies to this topic

#1 DjCalvin

DjCalvin

Member [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:30 PM

Ok here is a challenge to all the hardcore linux folks out there.

I will greatly accept the switch if it can be proven that Games will run as good under linux as they do under windows.

Im a windows guy at heart, but I do work on unix systems at work.
Im a gamer, and that will never change.
I had switched over to linux about 4 years ago, and I couldnt play crap on linux without dual booting to windows. (I think it was Wine emulation they were running under)

Now have there been some improvements in being able to play windows games smoothly on linux?
If so, please let me know, and please point me to references which say that is true.

here is my setup and what I currently play:
Hardware:
asus p4ce800-deluxe mobo (onboard gig-e)
p4 2.8ghz
bfg 6800 ultra
1gb corsair XMS pro memory
4x200gb western dig sata hd's in raid 1 (2 logical drives)
2x 160gb OS and data drives.
sb audigy 2

Acessories:
Logitech g15 keyboard
Logitech 6.1 surround
Logitech G5 Laser mouse
Ceative Zen Xtra jukebox.
Couple of flash drives.
Dual layer dvd burner ( i think its a lite-on.. been a while since i checked)

Games I am currenly playing, and want to continue playing...

Godfather the game
Freelancer (old standby favorite)
World of Warcraft (just dumped my account actually)
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3
Civ 4

Edit:
From what i can tell Cedera is the app of choice for a lot of games.
Any suggestions on linux flavor as well? or web sites to point me in the right direction. I will prob dual boot until i can get a handle on things for a month or 2.

- C

Edited by DjCalvin, 08 May 2006 - 10:48 PM.

#2 szupie

szupie

S.P.A.M.S.W.A.T.

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:12 AM

I've tried Linux for a few weeks in the past, but since I wasn't a Linux geek at that time, it just confused me a lot.
I'm guessing that most games were built just for Windows, and Linux's processors aren't the most efficient in reading Microsoft's proprietary codes. If a game was created specially for Linux, it'll probably run crappily on Windows.

#3 miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

PsYcheDeLiC dR3aMeR

• Members
  • 2,248 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Magic Tricks, Numismatics & Philately to some extent, Being a nuisance in general (that's my favourite)
  • myCENTs:NEGATIVE[-21.50]

Posted 09 May 2006 - 06:45 AM

It's really hard to compare between the two from a gaming standpoint.

See, first of all, Linux was never meant to be for gaming. In it's primary field of expertise - OS Resource Usage, Networking & Security - it far outshines Windows. The performance of Windows in those spheres is at best miserably pathetic.

On the other hand - Windows was designed to be the average end-user desktop system and those are the people who play a hell lot of games. Thus Windows has a pretty powerful graphical engine, which helps games work real smooth.

Then again - there are games specifically designed for Linux - which work equally well. It entirely depends on the coding & the gaming engine.

WINE isn't a solution by any means - but yeah, it's supposed to make your transition from Windows --> Linux a lot easier by letting you run some of your favourite Windows appz on Linux. That's about it.

#4 twitch

twitch

Veteran Nut

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:51 AM

Until Linux comes out with a powerful graphics engine, and developers see the potential, I doubt any other Operating System can compare to the years of development that Microsoft have had.

I would sooner use a propietrybased operating system to play my favourite games, than to compromise and get a weakend, or playable game. Especially if it cost a lot.

#5 xboxrulz

xboxrulz

Colonel Panic

• Members
  • 3,057 posts
  • myCENTs:59.15

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:32 AM

I can't have solid prove (since I can't get the FPS showing on Windows), but when I ran C&C Renegade, C&C Tiberian Sun and Quake 4, it was considerably faster, as if you can feel the speed difference too.

My only explanation to this phenomenon is that the X Server's framebuffer is bigger, therefore it's faster to process all the graphic data.

Yet when m^e said about Linux wasn't designed for gaming, true, but remember, Linux was designed as a powerhorse to calculate math and other operations fast! Therefore, if calculations are faster and stable, then Linux can beat a Windows machine (if running natively or in some WINEd games)

xboxrulz

Edited by xboxrulz, 09 May 2006 - 11:38 PM.

#6 qwijibow

qwijibow

Way Out Of Control - You need a life :)

• Members
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Computer / nerd related things (who would have guessed)<br />also. the following cartoons...<br /><br />South Park<br />King of the hill<br />Family guy<br />Sponge Bob Square pants<br />Simpsons

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:42 PM

Playstation 3 is shipping with linux pre-installed on the hard disk.. ( sold seperatly )

what more needs to be said.

#7 xboxrulz

xboxrulz

Colonel Panic

• Members
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:37 PM

lol, that just blows away the argument, I forgot to bring that up.

Yet, Linux is already preinstalled, but you require the hard disc to access the full functionality. All games are running on OpenGL and Sony's customized Linux variant.

xboxrulz

#8 abhishek

abhishek

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:47 PM

A dedicated gaming console which runs on linux is the greatest proof. When it comes to PC gaming lot of game developers are now targetting linux also. There are many popular games which are being ported to linux by the game developers. Try ID software games(all ID Software games are now available for both Windows and linux), when playing you may not be able to make out that whether you are playing it on windows or linux. When it comes to better gaming experence, both windows and linux are the same. Only thing is Linux has a way to go to be more popular OS and then more and more gamedevelopers will target their games to linux.

#9 xboxrulz

xboxrulz

Colonel Panic

• Members
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 03:01 AM

not only is it on Linux/Windows but also on MacOS X.

xboxrulz

#10 abhiram

abhiram

Hedonist at large

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Music (both playing and listening)

Posted 17 June 2006 - 03:25 AM

Well, I play a lot of games myself and prefer Linux over windows. Now, games which are made for Linux work seamlessly. But there are only so many games that run natively on Linux. The native Linux games that I've played are:

1. Quake 3 Arena
2. Unreal Tournament 2004
3. Neverwinter Nights

Well, I do like to listen to some music in the background when playing the game. Q3A and UT2004 had some sound issues if I played amaroK in the background, in the sense that there would be no more sound coming from the game, just from the music player. But this didn't affect gameplay and I wasn't bothered.

Neverwinter Nights is by far the best native Linux game. The sound works perfectly, I can listen to background music from amarok AND the graphics are terrific. I played the whole of first and second levels and there was no problem at all.

Now, thanks to Cedega, some Windows games can also be made to work in Linux. The Windows games that worked for me (without any hassles) are:

1. Spiderman 2 PC
2. Sonic Adventure DX Director's Cut

Sonic didn't work all that well since it's sound depends on the WMA9 codec and I didn't have it installed. Nevertheless, the game worked seamlessly if only silently!

Cedega offers ready, out-of-the-box support for a large number of Windows games. You could check it out.

You can always expect problems if you're playing a Windows game on Linux. I'm usually always on Linux, but use windows only to play games and nothing else.

#11 sonoftheclayr

sonoftheclayr

Member [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything interesting!

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:21 AM

Linux is becoming more and more popular (I myself would use it all the time if I could get the modem to work) and gaming companys have little choice as to stick with Windows or go for Linux too.

I haven't really played games on Linux other than what came with Ubuntu. I have tryed to play Theocracy on it but can't get it to work (The library is there but according to the error message it can't be found if anybody would like to help).

#12 xboxrulz

xboxrulz

Colonel Panic

• Members
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:46 PM

Quake 4 and Doom 3 plays better on Linux than Windows, for some reason it's slower on Windows.

xboxrulz

#13 Alegis

Alegis

Premium Member

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:55 PM

Quake 4 and Doom 3 plays better on Linux than Windows, for some reason it's slower on Windows.

xboxrulz

You've made several statements like that so far, but I'm not sure they concince the topic starter. At least they do not prove anything for me.

I have some kubuntu CDs somewhere on my desk right now, meaning to try it out at some point. However I do like my customized XP a lot and I'm not going to seriously try out OSes where I will run under emulation for most parts; that would be gimping the system.

If you have some charts or benchmarks I'd love to see them. As well as the topic starter I'm interested to how this turns out.

#14 Guest_mastercomputers_*

Guest_mastercomputers_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:18 PM

Alegis,

ID Software makes those games Native for Linux, it's not ran under emulation. I can only vouch that these games for me do run better in Linux than in Windows, I have no benchmarking charts to show, but I have no need to lie about these games running better, otherwise I would have stuck with Windows playing these games if Windows was better for these games, since I do like having the best performance I can get out of a game when playing online.

But this software is native, if you're looking at emulation, then that would probably give some performance issues, I don't know, I don't run emulated games.

Cheers,

MC

#15 xboxrulz

xboxrulz

Colonel Panic

• Members
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:23 PM

sometimes these so called "emulated" games (eg. using compatibility layers like WINE or Cedega) do sometimes run better than on Windows although the game was designed for Windows.

For example: C&C Renegade, C&C Tiberian Sun, Call of Duty.

FPS: 50+

Also, PS 3 runs on Linux and it is one of the best gaming machines out there along side with XBOX 360 and the Wii.

xboxrulz

Edited by xboxrulz, 18 July 2006 - 11:24 PM.

#16 snutz411

snutz411

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:49 PM

Linux is not better for gaming for Windows. Of course with the help of WINE or whatever you want to use, you will be able to run gamings specifically built for Windows. It really isn't fair to try to compare the ability to game under Linux and the ability to game under Windows. Here are the reasons why...

1) Such a small marketshare actually uses Linux. Why would game companies worry about attracting the 5% of the population that uses Linux while the other majority uses Windows?
2) It is rare to find a graphics card company that releases native Linux drivers for their hardware. Again it is that small market share that would probably COST the company more than it would help it. Granted, ATI does have Linux drivers, but they are a pain to install.
3) Gaming companies now like to use Software libraries provided by Microsoft such as DirectX. Linux will never be able to handle DirectX as well as Windows.

Linux is my main OS, in particular I use Slackware, and I can safely tell you that if you want to game then stick to Windows. You will not run into hardware issues, more games will be released to your OS, and you will not run in the frustration of trying to get Windows games to run under WINE for Linux.

Maybe once the marketshare of the Linux Community reaches a certain percentage then we will see hardware vendors and game developers tailor the installs of the game to Linux. But even when that happens, not all the distributions of Linux keep the same filesystem. Slackware is different than Red Hat, its different then SUSE, and its different then Ubuntu. Also not every fresh Linux install will have all the packages required to run said game. Do you package the install in a RPM, tgz, tar, do you let Linux users compile from source? Would you want Linux users to see the source, which could potentially lead to exploits in the game?

All in all, Linux was NOT meant to game. Of course its cool if you can get games to run under Linux, but that is not the point of this operating system. The point was to create an open source alternative to the Microsoft Giant. The point was to create a rich learning environment for anyone interested in the workings beyond the GUI.

That's my rant, hope you enjoyed it.

#17 xboxrulz

xboxrulz

Colonel Panic

• Members
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:45 PM

funny, you left out NVIDIA which is one of the largest card manufacturers in the world and they support Windows, Mac, Linux, FreeBSD and even Solaris.

id Software is one of the best developers in the world and they support Linux. Why? It's because it has potential and because more and more people are flocking over there.

Linux is about choice and not about open sourcing everything. There are many propriety games out there for Linux: America's Army (dropped support), Quake 4, Doom 3, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and of course UT 2004. These very successful games have been supporting Linux for quite a while.

Filesystem is not the problem atm because the Linux kernel handles ReiserFS, XFS, ext3, etc. all the same

The RPM, DEB, TGZ, EBUILD problem is not even a problem. Just make an installer using the .run method (a.k.a Loki Installer) and it'll copy all the files required on to the system. To uninstall, just run an uninstaller script like they have in UT2004, Doom 3, Quake 4 and etc.

Another point that relates back to choice and the point of the operating system, Linux is about choice. The choice for the person to customize their system to run anything and everything. Granted that gaming is part of "everything", therefore, gaming is part of the Linux vision. However, when you said that Linux was suppose to be an alternative, that's not really that true until it got popular. Linux was supposingly an open source project for Linus Torvalds to learn the x86 architecture on his computer and try to clone UNIX. The only reason why it's still in development under Linus's directions is because he finds making this operating system fun. It was never meant to be an alternative to Windows.

To tackle the Direct X thing, there are many games that are going to be running on Linux (PS3 to be exact) and all of them uses OpenGL 2.0. Also, Direct X was just Microsoft's version of OpenGL. When I take a look at the codes for a Direct X program vs. an OpenGL one, they look quite similar.

However, I do give you kudos about the marketshare, at the same time, you must remember, the only thing that's going to make an operating system popular is to have games running on it. In order to do so, you must have companies like id Software making that first move to make an operating system they think have potential with their technology.

Also, you can also even say no operating systems were meant for gaming, even Microsoft Windows. It's just that you have extra layers slapped on to it to make it run games.

xboxrulz

#18 mikenco

mikenco

Newbie [ Level 1 ]

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:05 PM

However, I do give you kudos about the marketshare, at the same time, you must remember, the only thing that's going to make an operating system popular is to have games running on it. In order to do so, you must have companies like id Software making that first move to make an operating system they think have potential with their technology.

I think it's catch-22. Not enough gamers to warrent porting PC-CD games to Linux and not enough Linux games to encourage people to switch!

I have donkey's years of experience of Windows and use it for my job as well as gaming. I have tried a few flavours of Linux and were greatly impressed with the image and functionality of it. I have setup web servers on Linux and learned some of the command line functions. But each time I set it up and get excited about Linux again, I always get the bit where I realise I have a huge archive of genuine PC-CD games that I simply can't play on Linux.

There are a lot clever programmers out there and the day they work out how to give Linux the ability to install and run PC-CD games (and apps) straight from the cd with the minimal of fuss to the user, then Microsofts days are numbered.

Until then, I don't like the fact, but it's true that Linux just isn't flexible enough as a family's main computer.

Rgds

Mike

#19 Aka_Bar

Aka_Bar

Member - Active Contributor

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:03 PM

well, yes Lunix becomeng more useful and popular but at moment i think for Gaming events we should use Microsoft products and releases, i think technalogies of gaming platforms more comptable with Windows then Lunix products. One big reason that windows is more relable for gamimng platforms as programist i can say but i dont want say somting agains to Lunix but at moment i think more better play on Windows games then play it on Lunix platforms!! and More of games MORE comptable with Microsoft Windows Operateing Systems, i think!!!

#20 Quatrux

Quatrux

the Q

• [HOSTED]
  • 1,669 posts
  • Interests:PHP, MySQL, Oracle, PL/SQL, HTML, CSS, Javascript, jQuery, C# Computers, Alternative OS, Amiga, MorphOS, Beer, Friends, Linux, KDE..
  • myCENTs:30.76

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:10 AM

Well, as I never really played games on Windows, due to I am a retro gamer and prefer all the games before the year 2000, I can easily emulate them on Linux and besides, people who use some other operating system than Windows really want the computer to be a computer, but if you don't want to know anything, just play games, listen to music, surf the web and watch a movie, which most of the people in the world does, use Windows, even though they (windows OS) can do much more, but it is a choice, personally my first OS was Amiga, then Linux and only then Windows, until I got used to Windows it was horrible; I don't see what Linux can't do what Windows can except Games, but serious people aren't gamers, just likes to play sometimes, personally when I start playing a game, my target is to finish it and people who plays counter strike, I don't see a finish there.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users