Following is the list of ftp softwares available
you can google for any name to find more detail about them:
* — proprietary, freeware, Windows only. Personal FTP server.
* ArGoSoft FTP Server — proprietary, shareware, Windows only. Some earlier version might have been freeware.
* BulletProof FTP Server — commercial (Windows)
* Cerberus FTP Server — "free for personal use and not-for-profit charitable organizations", Windows only
* CesarFTP — freeware, Windows only
* CrossFTP Server — open source, free software, Windows, Linux, Solaris, and Mac OS X.
* CrushFTP Server — Professional shareware server supporting FTP, FTPS, SFTP, HTTP, HTTPS, WebDAV and WebDAV over SSL protocols. Runs on Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, *BSD, Solaris, etc.
* G6 FTP Server — commercial (Windows)
* GlobalSCAPE Secure FTP Server — commercial (WinNT+) FTP/S, SSH, HTTP/S, Automation
* Fastream IQ Web/FTP Server — "totally free personal version and 30-day trial professional version available as bundled in one program.", Windows only
* FileCOPA FTP Server — commercial, Windows.
* FileZilla Server — open source, free software, WinNT 4.+/2K/XP only
* freeFTPd — free, WinNT 4.+, supports FTP/S and SFTP
* GuildFTP Daemon server — proprietary software, Windows only
* IceWarp Server — free and commercial editions, Windows and Linux, integrates FTP over SSL and S/KEY authentication with email/IM accounts
* JSCAPE Secure FTP Server — free and commercial editions; Linux, Windows, Solaris and Mac OS X with support for FTP, FTPS, SFTP, HTTP/S, WebDAV and WebDAV over SSL protocols.
* Microsoft Internet Information Services — proprietary, Windows only, included in most versions of Windows after and including NT 3.51.
* NASLite — free software; Linux based FTP/NAS server
* Pure-FTPd — free software; Linux, *BSD, Mac OS X, Windows (experimental), et al.
* RaidenFTPD FTP Server — commercial (Windows)
* Serv-U FTP Server — commercial (Windows)
* Sysax Multi Server — free and commercial editions (Windows) supports FTP, FTPS, SFTP, SSH, Telnet, HTTP, and HTTPS
* Titan FTP Server — commercial (Windows) (South River Technologies) Supports FTP, SFTP and FTP over SSL
* War FTP Daemon — freeware (Windows)
* WS_FTP Server — commercial (Windows) (Ipswitch)
* VicFTPS — freeware (Windows)
* Xlight FTP Server — Free for personal, supports IPv6 (Windows)
* zFTPServer — Free Windows FTP server, supports SSL
* Rumpus FTP, SSL, Web interface (Mac OS X (Intel/PPC))
Nice Tutorial rmdort I've been trying to find a way to host a FTP Server On My CPU So, When I Go To School I Enter My IP And Port, Along With My User Name And Password, I Can Get My Files Such As Projects, Music, Videos etc. I Guess Now I Don't Have To Download Those Programs off The Web That Will Open An FTP Server On My Computer, But Limits That I Can Only Download About 10 Files A Day. Love This Tutorial So Much I'm Gonna Bookmark it.
Yeah I second MC's motion.. for Windows one should cut the crap and just install FileZilla server It's easy as hell to setup including granting directory based read/write access to users. If you install XAMPP you'll know for sure coz it comes as a part of the installation.
This is a good tutorial,i wanted to setup my own server and i had done it ,but was always guessing how to provide an ftp server ,well as i know now i would be able to do it and who knows ,i might start up my own webhosting company someday,but i feel something new has to be done as there are so many webhost already available on the internet ,dont these have any security issues,i have seen one of my friends server crashed when he did something like istalling apache and all