What Im looking to do:
Hook up 2 computers (one upstairs and one down) and my xbox live.
1) Is wireed networking significantly faster than normal networking?
2) Can't you get special adapters and have your network only give info through those (to prevent network hacking)?
3) With wireless networking would you have to buy adapters for each computer - I think some wireless routers require it.
4) If I would need those how would that work with xbox live?
5) Any other info on these sorts of products or if there is any you want to suggest?
I use adelphia.net isp & when it connects it says its connected at 100 mbs but it more like 3-6 mbs through a browser...
Also, odds are that im not going to be worried about data theift or network hacking because I live in a fairly remote area around mostly old people.
1 - wired is way better then wireless. Much faster and no connection losses however it includes loads of wires trailing around if you have a few comps and other equipment
2 - You could just not connect the internet to that network so that it would be impossible for someone outside your network to access your equipment.
3 - With wireless you would have to buy either Usb wireless modules or pci (in-built) or (pcmcia for laptop) cards which go inside the computer
4 - Not sure about this one !!!
5 - I'm useless at suggesting products as I'll end up suggessting a really bad one so I'll leave it at there....
Hope this helps